Critique Meg - [Stranger #216]

blakester

Shine On Harvest Moon
Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
A visit to Cambridge for a walkabout for my strangers project was the order of the day today. The weather was fantastic. Whilst wandering, I found this backdrop, it is a foot/cycle bridge across the railway lines near the station. Too good an opportunity to pass, I waited for a good few hours for the perfect stranger to pass. I noticed Meg and her fantastic colourful hair and thought she would make the ideal stranger to suit my chosen background.

Technical details, as some may know, this round of strangers I am using off camera flash. Meg's portrait is lit shooting a yongnuo flash through a shoot-thru umbrella positioned camera left close to axis.
It was a bright day so the flash was more for fill than anything else. I have come to like balancing the ambient as opposed to trying to kill it.

Comments and critique welcome as always.

Meg - [Stranger 216]
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

What a beautiful photo you have taken Iain, really like Megs hair colour and think it goes with her look :) Just had a look on the Flickr stream and thanks for the info on Meg :)

Thanks David, Meg made a fantastic stranger, I enjoyed our brief interaction.

Flipping' awesome background mate.

Great as always.

Thanks David, I have been in Cambridge many times but only just today came across this bridge.
I got off the bus a few stops early to have a wander in towards the city centre and discovered this bridge. I did have to wait hours for Meg to walk past though and reward my patience :D

She's THE perfect person for that shot. You've smashed this one mate.

Thanks again Matey!
I had someone decline today which i am actually glad about as otherwise I would have moved away from the location once I had made the portrait.
Sometimes one just gets lucky eh?

I used to cycle across / through that bridge on the way to university every day in my first year! (1999/2000). Recognised it at once.

Great photo too my the way, great connection with the lady.

I used to cycle across / through that bridge on the way to university every day in my first year! (1999/2000). Recognised it at once.

Great photo too my the way, great connection with the lady.

Thanks Simon, its a great location, Meg was just perfect for it too!

Excellent work as always from what I've seen, love the fact that her hair accentuates the blue of the sheltered walk.

Excellent work as always from what I've seen, love the fact that her hair accentuates the blue of the sheltered walk.

Thanks Michael, Meg made for the perfect subject for this background. I had one person decline beforehand but I am glad they did as I would have moved on before Meg came along!

Great background, nicely lit. Looks like you hit the jackpot with Meg. Everything from her hair to eye colour "fits" the hues in the bg.
Well done:clap:

Fab !!!

I must admit my draw dropped when you mention waiting for a couple of hours !! Was that a typo ?

Gaz

Great background, nicely lit. Looks like you hit the jackpot with Meg. Everything from her hair to eye colour "fits" the hues in the bg.
Well done:clap:

Thanks (y)
Yes, I am glad that the first person I asked declined otherwise I wouldn't have waited at the location and would have missed Meg.
I guess sometimes we make our own luck?

Fab !!!

I must admit my draw dropped when you mention waiting for a couple of hours !! Was that a typo ?

Gaz

:D Thanks Gary!
No typo matey, I often wait around for hours at a background for the perfect stranger to come along.
Having a lot of patience helps my project along :D

Awesome, Iain. I really like that. Lovely light and I really like it highlighting the hair where it does to give it real texture.

What's helpful for me is seeing how you've deliberately picked out a background to complement the subject (even if it actually happened the other way around). It's good to be reminded that we should really try to do similar when constructing an image... thank you for that.

Processing is spot on as well - what sort of split toning have you used out of interest?

Is this a bit of a theme developing with your backgrounds and vanishing points? ;)

I almost didn't see the background, as the subject is captivating. I'd say you got the balance just about spot on. Love it.

Awesome, Iain. I really like that. Lovely light and I really like it highlighting the hair where it does to give it real texture.

What's helpful for me is seeing how you've deliberately picked out a background to complement the subject (even if it actually happened the other way around). It's good to be reminded that we should really try to do similar when constructing an image... thank you for that.

Processing is spot on as well - what sort of split toning have you used out of interest?

Thanks Paul,
I more often than not find a background and then wait for an interesting stranger to come along.
That's why I regularly wait a while. It's not that there isn't any people walking past it's just that I am particularly choosy in who I ask.

The split toning is done in Lightroom, I use the dropper to choose a cooler colour for the shadows, a warmer tone for the highlights. Then I just adjust to taste. I usually have the original file up beside the one I'm working on to get the skin tones as close as possible.

Hope this helps, thanks again for looking in and commenting.

Is this a bit of a theme developing with your backgrounds and vanishing points? ;)

I almost didn't see the background, as the subject is captivating. I'd say you got the balance just about spot on. Love it.

Thanks Paul.

I love a vanishing point background I do!
I think it really helps keeping attention on the subject, it would always be my choice of background if I could find them.

Back