Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
The Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes in Death Valley National Park are probably one of the most visited tourist spots in the area. I arrived to find a busy car park and lots of people milling around in close proximity to the car park. Knowing I wanted cleaner shots I decided to take a walk deeper into the dunes to find a spot to myself, while waiting for the sun to drop. Luckily this didn't take long as not many people were willing to brave the 49.5 degree temperature! I liked the layers in this image, taken handheld on a telephoto lens to compress the scene.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III|70-200mm f4 L IS

Life in Death by Jake Turner, on Flickr

I reaally like the way the light catches the tops of the dunes, but also the exposure is bright enough that the bushes play a major part of the shot and aren't lost in the shadow. The sky isn't doing a lot for me, but I guess you need it in to really finish off the photo. Good work and congrats on surviving the heat!

I reaally like the way the light catches the tops of the dunes, but also the exposure is bright enough that the bushes play a major part of the shot and aren't lost in the shadow. The sky isn't doing a lot for me, but I guess you need it in to really finish off the photo. Good work and congrats on surviving the heat!
Cracking shot Jake like how the light just catches the top of the dunes
Thats very nice Jake.
Thanks all :)
Peter - you're right, the sky isn't really doing much, but I didn't want it to take anything away from the foreground. I think as it is it blends in nicely with the mountains, and it's still an essential part of the composition.

Nice work again Jake!
Really like the crisp clean cut lines and layers here, nice and sharp, lovely shadow too. Almost looks like a pyramid on the right, great formations. Like the composition here Jake. I guess that's veiling across the mountains is caused by the heat (and what heat wow nearly 50 degrees) .
Funny when I'm on holiday I always get into trouble for wandering off with the camera:)

That came together very nicely Jake I love it.

Already commented on this one jake via Flickr, special shot mate. Love it.

I love Death Valley, that's a great shot. I've not been in the height of summer (unlikely to, either). Were you passing through or did you stay the night?

Thanks for the comments all. I hope you have a great time Mark!
Thanks Julian, we spent a night at Furnace Creek. The lowest the temperature got that night was 39 degrees! Mental.

Tremendous shot. We stopped at Zabriske Point when we went. Didn't get a picture as good as that though.

Lovely shot.
Did you leave Furnace Creek at night and drive deep into the valley?
Most amazing night sky I've ever seen.

Back