Messy time!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
First attempt at paint splashes tonight. Easy set up and loads of keepers. All I used was two flashguns, two gloss white tiles and a water drop kit, and obviously I raided my kids arts and crafts drawer.

Settings:
1/200
f/16
ISO 100
Canon 550d
55-250 kit lens

I had one flash t the back and to the right, and another one to the front and left. Looking at these now I wish I had that front flash just a tad more powerful to show off some more colour in the shadows.

I've only linked a few pictures. There's even more on my Flickr if you click on them (y)

IMG_5644 by Peanut651, on Flickr
IMG_5672 by Peanut651, on Flickr

IMG_5671 by Peanut651, on Flickr

IMG_5669 by Peanut651, on Flickr

IMG_5705 by Peanut651, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cheers. The hardest part was choosing colours that would go well together. Although I didn't have much choice with only red, yellow and blue...:rolleyes:

I love these - the last ones my top, just because of its simplicity.

Thanks. It's quite addictive because every time you capture something different and even the viscosity of the paint alters what patterns you're going to get.

Last edited:
Do you mind me asking which kit and settings you used?

Do you mind me asking which kit and settings you used?
Just a homemade one out of aquarium piping. It doesn't have to be anything fancy because these splashes are just the paint bouncing off the hard surface, no fancy electronic circuits here lol.

Settings are in the description

ha, and there was me expecting one of those £250 setup - great to know its pretty basic - I'll have to take a look into it and see how its done without expensive kit.

Thanks again.

I found a vid - was it something like this (link) or a simpler setup?

Last edited:
ha, and there was me expecting one of those £250 setup - great to know its pretty basic - I'll have to take a look into it and see how its done without expensive kit.

Thanks again.

I found a vid - was it something like this (link) or a simpler setup?

I used aquarium piping and an air restrictor for mine, but Yeh, same sort of idea. I'll get a picture up in the morning. Basic is an understatement once you see my bodge job lol

To be honest you don't even need that for paint splashes. One of those turkey baster things would do. You would just have to find a way to drip it from the same place every time.

Last edited:
qyj16V
picture isn't working from my phone. I'll have to try later.

Last edited:
lol, I'm looking forward to it - I've two kids who I'm sure would love to help with this project :D

haha, you weren't joking - I like the stand, nice job - it took me a bit to see where the piping was, very neat.

Lol aye not bad for a tenner. I'll be getting an electronic kit at some point though, but that's mainly for ease of use.

Superb little set. Interesting set up. Look forward to seeing more. Colours are fab.

Superb little set. Interesting set up. Look forward to seeing more. Colours are fab.
Cheers. I mainly made that wooden frame for water drop to tie me over till I get an electronic kit. The yellow valve on top allows me to adjust the speed of the drips.

Cheers! the red/blue shots were the first lot I did before I changed the colours and had to set up my equipment again. I don;t think I had the focus as good on the red/blue ones as I did with the others. I'll know for the next time I feel like making a mess :D

WOW!
I'm not at all envious me...nah :LOL:

Back