Metallic Hologram on New Pound Coins

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at one of the new one pound coins I noticed something odd - what appeared to be a hologram at the bottom of one side under the Queen's head.

Apparently this is one of a number of anti counterfeiting measures.

1.jpg

It seems to be done by bending or cutting the tiny strips of metal at the bottom to produce the holograms.
2.jpg

In order to show the holograms more easily I found it was better to blur the final pics using Gaussian Blur.
3.jpg 4.jpg

They produce the 1 or the £ depending on the way the coin is viewed - quite a clever way to produce a hologram made of metal especially considering how small the little "grille" actually is.

All pictures were taken on my Canon 40D using extension tubes with the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.

Last edited:
They were talking about this on the local radio station this morning. Apparently, some people have been selling 2016 pound coins on ebay as being rare, when in fact they aren't as they were first minted in 2016.

Not sure I fancy cracking out the 105mm macro lens in order to check if its legit though....lol..

I know. I said it with my tongue firmly in my cheek

There are already faulty ones in circulation (some thought of them as counterfeits). Check the news stories :)

Some have had the centres fall out too if you check them out on eBay.

They were talking about this on the local radio station this morning. Apparently, some people have been selling 2016 pound coins on ebay as being rare, when in fact they aren't as they were first minted in 2016.
I've not yet seen one that's not 2016.

Back