Critique MGJ Engineering Brands Hatch Winter Stage Rally

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
No
I did my first ever rally yesterday at Brands Hatch and wanted to share some of my best photos for critique by the forum. I didn't manage to get an MSA Rally Media Accreditation so I had to shoot from public areas so there are fence posts and bins and things in the photos which I would otherwise have tried to avoid. Here are some of the images:

Reflections
by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

For those who have never done a circuit stages event, the stages are all pretty similar but use parts of the circuit and paddock to make up a decent length special. Most of the runs were made up of the Indy circuit, the inner and outer paddocks and as Brands has one, the rally experience stage. The first photo was taken on the transition from the prepared tarmac rally stage to the outer paddock where the organisers had laid loose gravel to provide a challenging surface.

Doubled Up

Speeding Ferrari

These two photos were taken on the Indy Circuit. Doubled Up was taken from the inside of Druids and should be good as it was really no different from GT racing, just more bodywork. Early rain had created a nice level of spray which I tried to capture, the reflection was an added bonus. Speeding Ferrari was taken from the grandstands through catch fencing. I was willing to accept a little more blur in this photo than I usually would because I dropped the shutter speed down to 1/40 but couldn't really pan very well because of other people in the stands around me.

Cresting

Running Away

Tail Happy

These three photos were all taken from the transition between Indy Circuit and outer paddock. Access around this area was very restricted during the stages so I could only get two angles on the cars but it did offer me my only chance to get head on and going away shots without any catch fencing in the way.

I really enjoyed the action but spent the entire day frustrated at the lack of clear sight lines and the way you are stuck in one location while the stages are running. I know this isn't the general rule either with rallies or with circuit racing when in public areas but for someone used to being the other side of the fence it was infuriating come the end of the day.

Some nice shots there but shame they are angled....defo not to my taste but obviously you like them..............

Dave

The lighting obviously didn't help you much, I toyed with the idea of going until I saw the weather forecast. Your backgrounds do appear a bit messy, I did think that it could be an issue during the day with the stage format. I like the movement in #1 but, the cone and the two bars to the left are distracting, the last two look a little static for me.

I would also prefer non angled shots but I think you have done well considering the weather conditions.

Nice shots, dont mind the angles, though some cars are bordering on the limit of the frame, i.e. very very close to being cut off to the edges

Thank you for the feedback guys. I am fairly partial to angled shots but I am trying to cut that down a bit. If I want angles I can always rotate the photo a bit in post!

Carlh, The standing brief I have from my client is short and simple, more car, less track. Its the way they like em so thats what I did. When I'm at a two day meeting with full access Ill spend at least one session ignoring the brief and seeing what comes out but I didn't have the luxury of that on this event.

PBP27, I like a bit of static-ness in a head on or going away shot. I don't know why I just like the feel of freezing the fast paced action at a single moment in time. That being said, I am a motorsport photographer and therefore required to caputre motion. Its again, something I have to work on. As for the top photo I know exactly what you think. I'm gonna get it into Photoshop at some point and see about cloning the bars and cone out but the angles available to me put an awful lot of superfluous furniture into the photos. It was a limitation of my access which frustrated the hell out of me.

I can imagine your frustrations on the day, especially with customers often high expectations, I hope they were pleased with your efforts. I'll be back up the Hatch when the weather warms up a bit !

I can imagine your frustrations on the day, especially with customers often high expectations, I hope they were pleased with your efforts. I'll be back up the Hatch when the weather warms up a bit !
I pulled 28 pics they were pleased with out of the day which was what I was there to do. As for you sir, fair weather snapper (*giggles*) Get out, Get Wet, Get snapping!

I pulled 28 pics they were pleased with out of the day which was what I was there to do. As for you sir, fair weather snapper (*giggles*) Get out, Get Wet, Get snapping!

I like the edit, well done with that .
I cover Kart events twice a month, so have my share of the weather, I couldn't face a day of wind and rain on a weekend off ;)

Back