Beginner Mic level adjustment for shotgun mic

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a beginner with video but lots of skills are transferrable from stills work - audio, however, is baffling! I've got a Rode videomic Pro on a X-H1 - what is the best setting for Mic level adjustment? I've seen advice to set it down to -12db. Is this good advice? or does it depend on the situation? Some basic testing has shown that -12 has less static than 0db but similar to auto. Can I just stick it on auto? I guess that will crank up the static during quiet sections. And what about the settings on the mic? It's got options for -10db 0db and +20db. Is it best to leave that on 0??

I'll be recording outside but shouldn't be loads of background noise like cars etc. but possibly some wind. And I'll be recording people, interview style from about 2m away.

Many thanks!

You are trying to avoid any clipping which you get when the audio exceeds 0db. The usual way of dealing with that is to set your average db level to around -12db that will normally give you enough head room to avoid clipping any loud audio. If there is a big variation in loudness you may have to set the average levels to say -18db or you do something to reduce the variation.

Preamps in cameras are often noisy and if you have to turn the gain up along way you may create more noise. You can boost the signal from you mic using the +20db switch which will allow you to turn you in camera gain down. The best thing to do is test out the various gain options on your mic to see which one gives you the lowest noise once your audio has been adjusted in post.

you don't say if your using a "deadcat" muffler if any and what type is so ie foam or hair. the longer the hair the more wind noise is reduced. jt also depends on the environment your in.

C8WL74M.jpg

to give some idea of how much that Guttman very long haired one for windy weather I did a test against a fan. compare first half with second and see the difference .

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEkZ_S3V7o

I al;so use an editing suite Adobe Premier Elements 2020 which allow noise adjustments to a certain extent

Last edited:
P1040034aa.jpg

Decided that this microphone may suit this camcorder better. It is directional or, as shown, in stereo with the twin microphones apart. This is the Sony one with contacts at the base so no need for any cable connection. The wind muffler that came with it ? Not really up to the job so I have ordered a Gutmann one which is a lot hairier and works well on the other mike as shown in first photo. So now I can either add the wireless JJC remote
P1040035a.JPG

or the JJC handle grip into the multi pin socket. quick note I was badly let down by a company in Hong Kong failing to send this item the company was BUY-MARKET so I would not recommend them . Reordered from Amazon so should be herfe tomorrow

Last edited:
Back