MICRO 4/3 CAMERAS with any lens fitted

Sorry guys, all your photos are irrelevant, you have to go FF mirrorless to be relevant and carry around beer can lenses, or party keg lenses if you want to be pro!!

Sorry guys, all your photos are irrelevant, you have to go FF mirrorless to be relevant and carry around beer can lenses, or party keg lenses if you want to be pro!!

Better skip the fad and jump straight to medium format. Can never be too careful.

Oh wait, I don't have gear pass through my hands every five minutes, I am fine with what I have. Nearly turned into a mindless spec head and thought I should start pimping Sony and the like, then realised I actually do photography and don't just fiddle with equipment that lasts slightly longer than the lifespan of a butterfly.

Here's one for you folk: Cheapest m4/3 with ibis video that would be fun for adapted lenses?

There's loads of older (2011 etc) capable stills cameras but I really want to play with stabilised video with vintage lenses but on an m4/3 and as cheap as possible!

Local fireworks display last night, took the EM1.2 + Panasonic 25mm f/1.7, not sure why, supposedly can't shoot in low light with m4/3 ...

Gotta crank up that ISO, but can't go over 3200, obviously, and best not pixel peep this one ...

What happens when we try base ISO ...

5 seconds hand-held, obviously the bonfire is a searing mess, but 5 seconds, hand-held, and it's not total mush!

Hi Al @akr

^^^^ his name is Maarten..................just saying ;)
:eek:

This shot was using CAF and the 9 point focus patch. I've managed similar shots using CAF + TR in good light against an uncluttered background.

Thanks Maarten - I only have the EM5mkII was was wondering if I eve upgrade, and maybe to try a few things on the EM5 - and apologies re the name - I've threatened my phone with a dip in the toilet for the next autocorrect fail! :)

:eek:Thanks Maarten - I only have the EM5mkII was was wondering if I eve upgrade, and maybe to try a few things on the EM5 - and apologies re the name - I've threatened my phone with a dip in the toilet for the next autocorrect fail! :)

No probs - the E-M5II is great but I'm not sure how well CAF performs on it.

My experience is:
E-M1 MkI: CAF works but you will have an appreciable amount of missed focus shots - I used it most successfully with all focus points activated. CAF + TR doesn't really work and is best avoided.
E-M1 MkII: CAF works better than on the MkI (after finetuning the AF parameters) and the 9 point focus patch is a Godsend to have more control over where the focus is. CAF + TR works in good light and with an uncluttered background. In situations where light is low or there are many distractions it is best avoided. I do get the impression that I have more slightly soft shots when I use CAF+TR versus pure CAF, but I haven't analysed it any great detail.

Here's one for you folk: Cheapest m4/3 with ibis video that would be fun for adapted lenses?

There's loads of older (2011 etc) capable stills cameras but I really want to play with stabilised video with vintage lenses but on an m4/3 and as cheap as possible!

The Olympus OMD em10 mkII can be got cheap as chips, there's one in classified I think you've seen already? The IBIS in Oly cameras is exceptional, I had the old em5 mk1 and could manage hand-held shots up to second with care - the em10 mkII has better IBIS again, the old em5 was the first to have 5-axis afaik. Here's one from Dublin City, standing in the middle of the road to get the Spire in, and some motion on the people crossing the side street, 1/8th - in the freezing cold! [Nov 29th last year] This was with the Panasonic 25mm 1.7, which isn't a stabilized lens, a vintage lens will gain the same benefit
Dublin Spire by K G, on Flickr

And here's a random using an SMC Super Takumar 200mm F4 [which I believe you own? :) ] - not a slow SS image, but I can tell you that the IBIS helps a lot with a long old lens like this when framing, so steady.
Collar Doves by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:

You must also drive a Beamer, wear a manbag on your shoulder with a matching scarf, drink lattes in hipster cafes with a side of croissant while reading the financial times. Or is that only Sony FF users? :LOL:

The Olympus OMD em10 mkII can be got cheap as chips, there's one in classified I think you've seen already? The IBIS in Oly cameras is exceptional, I had the old em5 mk1 and could manage hand-held shots up to second with care - the em10 mkII has better IBIS again, the old em5 was the first to have 5-axis afaik. Here's one from Dublin City, standing in the middle of the road to get the Spire in, and some motion on the people crossing the side street, 1/8th - in the freezing cold! [Nov 29th last year] This was with the Panasonic 25mm 1.7, which isn't a stabilized lens, a vintage lens will gain the same benefit
Dublin Spire by K G, on Flickr

And here's a random using an SMC Super Takumar 200mm F4 [which I believe you own? :) ] - not a slow SS image, but I can tell you that the IBIS helps a lot with a long old lens like this when framing, so steady.
Collar Doves by K G, on Flickr

Ooh nice! I like how personalised the answer was too :D That's some sharp sharpness going on there too!!

JLE80040.jpg

JLE80044.jpg

JLE80095.jpg

JLE80108.jpg

JLE80122.jpg

JLE80077.jpg

JLE80057.jpg

3. is my absolute favourite. It was my "Thomas Heaton" moment :D

Back