Mid Wales Tornado GR4

Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday I went to Wales to shoot low level aircraft, it was a quite day and only saved by a solitary Tornado GR4 just after midday. Still there was plenty of wonderful scenery to admire during the lull.

Cheers
Tim

7735008772_9fed04aab0_o.jpg

7735009250_a4cf25a0da_o.jpg

7735011730_348d75c7a0_o.jpg

7735013264_3d1a7f4fb9_o.jpg

7735009974_93aeaa0a91_o.jpg

7735014528_394ed9e013_o.jpg

Not too sure to be honest! Did think that the snake pit was the highest point of Cad East as it's basically a pit shaped hollow but it turns out that is not the case. Went a good 300-400 yards SW on to a small rocky outcrop to take these and someone has suggested the snake pit is even beyond this point, bit confused to say the least!

Still, think I'll be giving this location another try as it has some great potential even if it's the "pit" or not!

Cheers
Tim

Great shots Tim.

Anyone know what the pod on the belly is? ECM?

Dav

Last edited:
It's a litening III pod. It's a thermal/infrared laser designator pod.

They use it in afghan for targeting to Guide the smart bombs.

It does record the footage to a SSD which can later be viewed for intelligence gathering. Very smart bit of kit.

Any other questions?

Have you done much pp to the paintwork? It looks fresh out of paint in some of those shots. Not seen one that clean for ages!

Edit: Dav, the ECM pod is always on the left wing outboard unless it's a dummy pod being used as ballast. Reason being is they draw so much power the wiring is beefed up to that pylon IIRC.

Last edited:
Awesome shots Tim! Love #1,2,3,and 6 it's good to see some different angles compared to the standard front corner/ side shots!

I've done Cad East and Corris, but your images would imply you get the best of both worlds seeing both! Will defiantly have to have a walk up the hillside and explore next time I'm there! Good work mate :)

Back