Middle daughter

Strikingly beautiful model- great lighting & pose- very fine portrait,

Absolutely lovely lighting.

For me, I'd have preferred a bit more space at the top. An equal amount of space as you've given below the chin. I'd also darken the shadow on the (camera) right ear. I can see the ear, but I can't make out any detail. Either make it more obscure, or give it more detail (this could all be my eyesight).
They grow up so damn fast don't they...

as stated a fantastic shot, what it look like in b&w

Steven and 'doggel' and heath - thank you for your comments. I have a number of shots to process today and plan to try mono.

Last edited:
Absolutely lovely lighting.

For me, I'd have preferred a bit more space at the top. An equal amount of space as you've given below the chin. I'd also darken the shadow on the (camera) right ear. I can see the ear, but I can't make out any detail. Either make it more obscure, or give it more detail (this could all be my eyesight).
They grow up so damn fast don't they...

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. For me the position of the eyes in the frame was the critical thing and at the moment I find tight cropping at the top puts the eyes where I want them. I did go up and down on the shadow slider and settled on this but understand your point. Yes they do grow up fast - I was visiting them up in Shrewsbury for her daughter's second birthday.

A wonderful portrait Peter.
It captures grace, beauty and character.
The contact between you both is also shown.
I'm loving those striking eyes.
Certainly an image to treasure.

Really nice portrait Peter, I agree on some of the comments regarding a little more space at the top.

Could you share a little more about how you setup the lighting for the shot please ?

Cheers
-Rob

Really nice portrait Peter, I agree on some of the comments regarding a little more space at the top.

Could you share a little more about how you setup the lighting for the shot please ?

Cheers
-Rob

Thanks Rob.

So I have added slightly more headroom (as shot) and lifted the shadows just a little. I have also added a mono version. What do people think?

I had to carry my stuff on the train up to Shrewsbury from Eastbourne so took minimum. Single shoot through umbrella with an AD200. I hid the light as much as I could behind the remains of a partition wall to stop too much light reaching the background and feathered it across her face. I used my daughter's Nikon D3400 and her Tamron 18-270.

Last edited:
It's a very nice photo! The only picky point is that seam that runs across the back of her shoulder but a well taken shot Peter.

Back