Midnight macro safari

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been struggling to find any motivation to pick up the camera at the moment what with being pretty much limited to what I can find in the garden, but I'd seen a couple of close-up photo's on here recently taken at night and decided to give it a go (albeit these were taken in a back garden in Lancashire and not the wilds of a Rainforest). I did get some funny looks from the family and goodness knows what the neighbours thought I was up to, but I enjoyed the challenge and it's given me something to have a play around with.

Continuing to get to grips with the Nikon twin flash and using a mobile with torch on precariously balanced on top to aid with framing and focus. I'd have liked the body in focus too with this one, but just didn't have the light to stop down more and this was the best angle I could get to:

Midnight macro safari - Spider with Aphid prey by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Here's a 2nd one from a little earlier before it got started on its meal. Again not quite enough depth of field and not 100% happy with focus but something to work on:

Nighttime macro safari - Spider circling its prey by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've been struggling to find any motivation to pick up the camera at the moment what with being pretty much limited to what I can find in the garden, but I'd seen a couple of close-up photo's on here recently taken at night and decided to give it a go (albeit these were taken in a back garden in Lancashire and not the wilds of a Rainforest).

Did you find more after dark than during the day? Reason I ask is that I had some productive night sessions several years ago and am wondering if it is time to have another go. I'm not finding much during the day at the moment.

I did get some funny looks from the family and goodness knows what the neighbours thought I was up to,

My neighbours called the police on one occasion. There had been a very loud bang or two, which sounded like they might have been explosions or gunshots, and then they saw occasional flashes in the distance up the garden, although they probably couldn't tell how far away it was coming from. The police officers were quite apologetic for disturbing me when they looked over the wall and saw what I was doing. I haven't done a night session since then.

but I enjoyed the challenge and it's given me something to have a play around with.

Continuing to get to grips with the Nikon twin flash and using a mobile with torch on precariously balanced on top to aid with framing and focus.

Been there! With a small torch rather than a mobile, velcroed to the top of the diffuser, but not very stable and difficult to get and keep it pointing in the right direction.

I'd have liked the body in focus too with this one, but just didn't have the light to stop down more and this was the best angle I could get to:

Does the D810 have live view? (so it gains up and you can see what you are doing better).

I think the second one worked pretty well.

Did you find more after dark than during the day? Reason I ask is that I had some productive night sessions several years ago and am wondering if it is time to have another go. I'm not finding much during the day at the moment.

It's been very hit and miss for me both day and night. Quite a few Hoverflies and Ladybirds about in the day when it's fairly still and the sun is out. The odd Bumblebee and Butterfly have visited fleetingly too (although I've not managed to capture either yet). I went out on the first night with the damson blossom shot in mind - It was pretty still and it looks like I got lucky that night. I've been out briefly a couple of other nights since when its been a little breezy and seen nothing

My neighbours called the police on one occasion. There had been a very loud bang or two, which sounded like they might have been explosions or gunshots, and then they saw occasional flashes in the distance up the garden, although they probably couldn't tell how far away it was coming from. The police officers were quite apologetic for disturbing me when they looked over the wall and saw what I was doing. I haven't done a night session since then.

Wow, hopefully we won't have the police round then! I suppose it could seem vaguely like silenced handgun shots to those with an overactive imagination! :)

Been there! With a small torch rather than a mobile, velcroed to the top of the diffuser, but not very stable and difficult to get and keep it pointing in the right direction.

I've got an idea in the works re: mounting a torch - the Nikon flash kit conveniently comes with a flexible clamp (which is designed to hold a diffuser) that will fit on my L bracket and is long enough to reach over the front of the lens between the twin flash. I've got a small lightweight LED torch on order so I should hopefully be sorted when that arrives. Unfortunately I've managed to flatten my flash batteries, so no more night time work for me until replacements arrive :(

Does the D810 have live view? (so it gains up and you can see what you are doing better).

It does, so that's another thing to try out, thanks...

I think the second one worked pretty well.

Thanks, that definitely seems to be the most popular out of these shots :)

Last edited:
Back