Milky Way - Chesterton Windmill

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I'm very new to Astro Photography, so I'm looking for some tips of how to improve.

I took this shot on the last new moon (July 13th i think)

Iso 3200
20 sec
F2.8

Nikon D810
20mm f1.8 Nikon Lens

I done all the usuals like focus on a star, manual focus etc.

I have read a few things, but I'm here to ask how people get the milky way so bright? I know light pollution is a killer, but this was 2am in a field about 4 mile from any town/street lights etc.

Help/Advice always welcome.

My first attempt

received_1577969885664741.jpeg

I think you've done nicely there. It looks like you have some haze or high cloud which has lost the stars in the lower part of the image, maybe coupled with the light pollution, but there is no orange glow evident in the image.

You could probably get a little more out of it in post processing. There are lots of good you tube videos on PP of MW shots, and a couple of good ebooks on MW shooting and processing, David kingham and Royce bair are worth looking at.

Keep shooting and trying, I sort of accept light pollution as unfortunately part of the environment these days, so you can look to use it creatively sometimes.

Interesting stuff. Chesterton Mill is only 15-20 mins from home but still haven't got around to shooting it at night. You've given me more food for thought!

Interesting stuff. Chesterton Mill is only 15-20 mins from home but still haven't got around to shooting it at night. You've given me more food for thought!

Trust me, go! But, make sure it's after 11pm, it's a local hotspot for teens with the taste for cheap bottled cider

The UK isn't great for locations for astrophotography, there is light pollution everywhere! I live in St Albans and the closest place to me that I can get a milky way shot is iping common which is an hour 4 drive. And even then there is still light pollution.

You also have to factor in things such as moon cycle, weather etc in getting the right time and location. I'm writing a 3 part post on how I got my photo of the milky way on my blog (link in my sig). Getting the location, moon cycle and weather just right is only 1/3 of the battle..you then have to get the shots and do post processing which get the other 2/3s.

Back