Milky Way - peak season

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Where I am based in Azerbaijan we're just about peak season for stars and the Milky Way. A hot dry summer will give way this coming month to Autumn and the clouds and weather will start to roll in. Still some opportunities to come, but in the dry summer we are blessed with weeks of reliable hot cloudless skies.

The last six weeks has been prolific for excursions to the mountains and I've captured some of my favourite shots to date.

Constructive C&C welcome.

The lights of 3 villages from left to right. Qiriz, Jek and Kalaykhudat in the north of Azerbaijan, at the tail end of the caucuses. 10 shots in 2 layers (20 in total) for this panorama. The assembled TIFF file is 1GB!!

three villages by Alan, on Flickr

A spontaneous stop in the village when we spied this little pond and tried out reflection shots.

Qiriz Pond by Alan, on Flickr

My friend shooting the milky way, perched on a rocky outcrop.

Man at work by Alan, on Flickr

Khinalug is one of the oldest continuously inhabited villages in Azerbaijan, settled continuously for over 5,000 years. Surrounded by the caucus mountains.

Ancient History by Alan, on Flickr

Closer to Baku, a regular spot, I'm kicking myself I didn't take a second layer for this pano and chopped the top of the milky way but I still enjoy it. The moon rising, the arch and the tree. The yellow glow in the background is Baku 100km away.

Moon meets milky way by Alan, on Flickr

Back