Milky Way rising over Mud Volcanoes

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Qobustan mud volcanoes south of Baku, I had wanted to try and shoot the milky way here for a while and took the chance one clear summer night a couple of weeks ago.

The site itself if dark and very clear, however there is heavy light pollution fairly close by, a near by major highway and towns all within only a few km, but diligent composition and processing I hope made it work!!

There is also an example straight out of camera highlighting the major light pollution nearby.

I use lightroom (non-CC), with the Prolost dehaze plugins and brushes from David Kinghams Nightscape ebook for removing light pollution and highlighting the milky way.

Constructive C&C welcome and any advice on improving PP.

volcanic by Alan, on Flickr

qobustan by Alan, on Flickr

Milky way over the mud flows by Alan, on Flickr

light pollution by Alan, on Flickr

I can't comment on the PP; I don't know enough.

1 is a bit static and 4 is, IMO, too bright and the colour balance looks off, but 2 and 3 are excellent - wish I had any MW shots anywhere near as good. I can see them as covers of SF novels.

Dave

I like 2 & 3.

I can't comment on the PP; I don't know enough.

1 is a bit static and 4 is, IMO, too bright and the colour balance looks off, but 2 and 3 are excellent - wish I had any MW shots anywhere near as good. I can see them as covers of SF novels.

Dave
Thanks Wayne.

Thanks Dave. 4 is the straight out of camera shot, aiming to show how much light pollution is there.

Excellent set, love 'em all (y)

Back