Milky Way Suffolk

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
After waiting for the cloud cover to clear it only really broke through directly overhead so no foreground in this shot. I really want to go somewhere dark and get the saggitarius region, which my limited understanding tells me is setting as it gets dark (dropping down past the horizon). I think this is the cygnus part, framed between clouds at either end and still had a fair bit of reflected light pollution to remove.

Popped it on my mates astrotrac, single star alignment, ISO100 (pushed in post the D750 truly does seem ISO invariant), f2.8 and 318 second exposure.

Milky Way by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Quick bit of messing around with an old shot;

Shard Milky Way by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Quick bit of messing around with an old shot;

Shard Milky Way by Craig Hollis, on Flickr
That's terrific. I assume it must be a composite - surely no way you can see or image the Milky Way like that from central London - but I think it works very well regardless.

That's terrific. I assume it must be a composite - surely no way you can see or image the Milky Way like that from central London - but I think it works very well regardless.

Thanks Stuart, yes it certainly is, I think it is a shot I will put to use in other late blue hour shots and see how it works.

318 second exposure, what happened to the 500 rule ;) surly at 318 seconds you would have got star trails?

The astrotrac is a powered device with a worm drive that once polar aligned counters the earths rotation. I could have gone longer, but the lens was misting up!

First is excellent, not sure about the London one, fine night shots though (y)

The first is excellent. Good to see that we're not so totally light polluted down here.

Back