Milky Way

Wow. I must have missed earlier posts. Where was this taken (country) ?

Gaz

Thanks everyone! I'm based in Switzerland and this place is about 30 minutes from home so set the alarm for 3:30am a couple of times this week. I'll link the other photos here over the weekend.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and would like a better way to stitch panoramas than Lightroom offers as the sky tends to look patchwork due to variations introduced by LRs process. Any ideas for a better method?

Amazing landscape and the skies look pretty decent aswell!! Nice job!

I've only just started experimenting with pano's and something that I love about them is when its all stitched together and you zoom in to 100% on a full res file the amount of detail you can pick out is pretty incredible!

Was this with your friends 24mm f/1.4 or a different lens?
I'm torn about my next lens purchase..... Its either the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 or the Nikon 20mm f/1.8. The Nikon has a great reputation and a nice focal length for landscapes but suffers from coma and maybe a little too wide for pano's and the Samyang shows hardly any coma in astro images but would solely be for astro as I already have a 24-70 f/2.8!
Money is in the bank but I keep changing my mind about which one of these lenses to get!

Amazing landscape and the skies look pretty decent aswell!! Nice job!

I've only just started experimenting with pano's and something that I love about them is when its all stitched together and you zoom in to 100% on a full res file the amount of detail you can pick out is pretty incredible!

Was this with your friends 24mm f/1.4 or a different lens?
I'm torn about my next lens purchase..... Its either the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 or the Nikon 20mm f/1.8. The Nikon has a great reputation and a nice focal length for landscapes but suffers from coma and maybe a little too wide for pano's and the Samyang shows hardly any coma in astro images but would solely be for astro as I already have a 24-70 f/2.8!
Money is in the bank but I keep changing my mind about which one of these lenses to get!

Hi Mike this is still with the borrowed Samyang 24 1.4 - he has kindly said I can buy it off him as it's not so useful FL for his cropped sensor. It's really easy to use. And will be very handy for night or very dark events too.

Wow. I must have missed earlier posts. Where was this taken (country) ?

Gaz

PS I think I posted the earlier image on the Flickr thread - it was explored and as a result my most popular picture so far by miles!

Excellent, post some more please (y)

This is an awesome shot - whereabouts was this shot? Image is clear and composition effective - loving the reflections in the water.

Spooks

Thanks Spooky! I took it this morning about 4:30am close to Zurich in Switzerland where I'm living at the moment.

These are extraordinarily beautiful images. Would you care to share some information regarding how you made them? I mean, I can see from the discussion that they are panoramic images taken with a 24mm f/1.4. But I'm interested in the exposure. I'm guessing that each 'tile' of the panorama is made of multiple stacked exposures to get that amount of detail in the sky, plus a separate exposure for the foreground....?

These are extraordinarily beautiful images. Would you care to share some information regarding how you made them? I mean, I can see from the discussion that they are panoramic images taken with a 24mm f/1.4. But I'm interested in the exposure. I'm guessing that each 'tile' of the panorama is made of multiple stacked exposures to get that amount of detail in the sky, plus a separate exposure for the foreground....?

Thank you Stewart, one of these is my first fine art sale. The print will be 1.5 to 2.0 meters wide.

The exposure for each photo was 15sec and only one photo per tile, no stacking necessary and no separate exposure for the foreground, so quite straightforward. I've tried these techniques before and found the post processing frustrating and results disappointing. In the end keep it simple is working best for me. Hope this helps,
Tim

The exposure for each photo was 15sec and only one photo per tile, no stacking necessary and no separate exposure for the foreground, so quite straightforward.
Wow. I am impressed. I was shooting 20-second exposures in Death Valley last month, where the skies are MUCH darker than at home in the UK, and I wasn't seeing anything like the amount of detail you were getting. Perhaps I wasn't pushing the ISO high enough. What were you using?

Hi Stewart I also used ISO 3200, maybe the difference is aperture? I was f1.4 so that's 4x the light of f2.8 for example.

Two lovely shots. The Milky Way is on my list of things to do this year, I went out a couple of weeks ago on a dark night but the core wasn't visible (11.30pm when I cried off) Ive since learned I should have been out a lot later.
Hoping the Sigma 24mm 1.4 that I got recently will allow me to get some decent shots of it.

Really beautiful. I'm pretty impressed with the standard of Samyang lenses (compared to price)...I have the 12mm and think it's great.

Back