Milkyway 14mm on crop sensor images anyone ?

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi..... This is possibly not quite the right place to put this thread as it's not a photo, but it is specific to astro photography so seemed the best place to ask.....

Rather than posting a photo, I'm asking if anyone has got examples of the milkyway shot at 14mm on a crop sensor body (preferably Canon).....even if stitched images.

The reason I ask is that I currently have a Canon 5d and a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 but am having doubts regarding a camera upgrade. My original plan was to upgrade to a 6d but I keep asking myself if I really need a full frame body. The main reason I keep thinking that I do is because I do have a liking for taking milkyway shots, but only occasionally get the chance....so I'm wondering if I would still be happy enough with the occasional milkyway shots on a crop sensor because most of my photography is probably more suited to a crop body.

Feel free to offer any other advice / comments on the subject if you don't have example images that I'm looking for.

I could try to find examples on Flickr but I'd have to go through each 14mm milkyway photo to check if it was on a crop body or not and often the camera info is not given anyway so thought I'd ask here.

Cheers

Have you tried searching Flickr for these shots?

Also bear in mind for Milky way shots and any astro a full frame body will work better in low light.

However I've taken Milky Way shots on M43 gear and they look ok.

I could try to find examples on Flickr but I'd have to go through each 14mm milkyway photo to check if it was on a crop body or not and often the camera info is not given anyway so thought I'd ask here.

Or know how to search properly

Would you care to enlighten me ?.....as I wasn't aware Flickr could be searched so specifically without having to trawl through lots of images that are not what I'm looking for.

As this is only my second post I can't add the link, but if you search for gazwold68 on Flickr, you'll find a couple on page 2 shot with a Canon 70d and the Samyang 14mm. Not overly exciting, but my first go at night photography last year. Should give you an idea of what a Canon crop sensor is capable of with the Samyang, there are also some Northern Lights pics on there using the same gear, which may help your thinking....

As this is only my second post I can't add the link, but if you search for gazwold68 on Flickr, you'll find a couple on page 2 shot with a Canon 70d and the Samyang 14mm. Not overly exciting, but my first go at night photography last year. Should give you an idea of what a Canon crop sensor is capable of with the Samyang, there are also some Northern Lights pics on there using the same gear, which may help your thinking....

Thanks Garry.... I've had a look and I think the field of view is probably not much tighter than what I often end up cropping my milkyway images down to anyway due to either vignetting and/or loss of details in the stars beyond a certain part of the milkyway.

I think I just need to consider Green Ninja's post
Also bear in mind for Milky way shots and any astro a full frame body will work better in low light.
regarding overall full frame vs crop sensor performance now...

And if you’re serious about low light photography consider switching to Nikon. They have a far superior sensor to Canons for this type of shot.

And if you’re serious about low light photography consider switching to Nikon. They have a far superior sensor to Canons for this type of shot.

I have also been considering that, and still not ruled it out completely.

Back