Milkyway processing.... How much is too much

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Hi.... This is an image I shot last year on an night time outing to Brimham Rocks in North Yorkshire. I often struggle to get great milkyway shots for the usual reasons of not dark enough sky and not high enough ISO which leads to me having to work harder in post-processing to try bring out the milkyway so I am wary of over processing.

So would you class this image as "over-processed" ? And if so, what constructive criticisms would you suggest ?

Milkyway at Brimham Rocks by DB 72, on Flickr

Thanks

Looks great to me. Hard to say what is too much with the milkway as even SOOC it's going to be well into the territory of camera seeing things that we can't so I think it gives you more freedom to play. To me this looks spot on.

Looks just fine to me too (y)

I assume that you have used a radial filter/adjustment brush or something similar across the top of the rock and the milkyway and only becuase I have processed a few of these myself I do find it a bit noticable. I don't necessarily think what you have done is too much, it brings out the milkyway as you intended but I do wonder if you could feather it out more or increase the contrast/dehaze in the filtered part to reduce the white glow?

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Sometimes milkyway images seem to take a fair bit of processing which makes it hard to take a step back without obsessing too much to assess what could be done better but it seems from your comments it's not as bad as I feared.

I assume that you have used a radial filter/adjustment brush or something similar across the top of the rock and the milkyway and only becuase I have processed a few of these myself I do find it a bit noticable. I don't necessarily think what you have done is too much, it brings out the milkyway as you intended but I do wonder if you could feather it out more or increase the contrast/dehaze in the filtered part to reduce the white glow?

Yes sirch, processed heavily in Lightroom and because it really wasn't a very good image of the milkyway to start with (not as clear a sky as I had hoped) it meant I had to dig deep to get more contrast but your comment about the white glow is probably what I was sub-consciously noticing.

Thanks

Back