Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
*please move to right post location*

Hi all,

I love looking at all the milky way posts i keep seeing, there amazing!!

just got a question can the MilkyWay be shot anytime of the year or is it dependant on location (away from light pollution ofc) / country and what time of year ?

Regards
Broken

Chris, you hope for
  • clear sky
  • away for light pollution
  • any where on the planet
  • any time of the year
You have to find out, given the location you may be on
the globe, the proper night that will give you the right
view on our "mother ship!" and keep looking up! :)

There is a superb app called stellarium that I spend a lot of time on fast forwarding to dates in time and previewing the night sky.

You can overlay the ground or turn it off, this shows sometimes that the best but the galactic core is hidden during night time at certain places and points in time.

It also shows the moon which can ruin things if it is in the wrong place.

Actually we are getting into the best time of the year for uk Milky Way shots I think. This weekend is ok but a months time will be darker earlier...

Chris, you hope for
  • clear sky
  • any time of the year

thanks for the reply,

thanks for the info :) i wasn't 100% sure on the milkyway something id love to capture at some point may be lucky next week on my holiday break as it shouldn't be as bad as where I live :) as unfortunately being in the UK and around a Town/City light pollution is really bad even going to a country side the pollution is terrible, So will venture out at some point to give it ago :) !

unless lucky on my break :)

We are in The Milky Way. Can be seen in different positions as the core goes around .. Pre dawn in February .Peaking in June /July. The core can be seen September /November after dusk.

There is a superb app called stellarium that I spend a lot of time on fast forwarding to dates in time and previewing the night sky.

You can overlay the ground or turn it off, this shows sometimes that the best but the galactic core is hidden during night time at certain places and points in time.

It also shows the moon which can ruin things if it is in the wrong place.

Actually we are getting into the best time of the year for uk Milky Way shots I think. This weekend is ok but a months time will be darker earlier...

hey thanks for replying :)

so i take it the best time in the UK is around the early dark nights September/ October and on wards?

i will check this app out I've never captured the milkyway before never attempted only ever done the moon and the blood moon :)

either of you two got any photos of your milkyway shots :) ? id love to see them.

We are in The Milky Way. Can be seen in different positions as the core goes around .. Pre dawn in February .Peaking in June /July. The core can be seen September /November after dusk.
thanks for the reply :)

yeah sorry I didn't word it right what I meant was like time of year make a difference due to brightness of the moon, sun how long the days last, vs the October time when its dark early and for longer :)

do you have any photos of the milkyway you want to share :) ?

nice shot i like that!! i really want to get some milkyway shots looks like the moon is at its darkest for my holiday!! :D give this ago on the beach :) if i can see it!

A couple of other useful site are Moon Phases Calendar for check for no moon and Dark Skies map to see the dark places :)
thanks for this mate I've added these to my fave folder :)

I'm also interested in shooting the stars, thanks for supplying the links.
post a picture up if you do any shooting :)

Chris, you hope for
  • clear sky
  • any time of the year

Partially correct. You can indeed see the milky way from anywhere away from light pollution , but there are certainly places on earth that give dramatically better views of it. This is not just down to light pollution either. The views from the southern hemisphere are dramatically better than those from the northern hemisphere, as they get a view of the galactic centre.. we do not.

best views are in late summer to late autumn/early winter.... round about now, to around late november, early december.... (but only because you never really get full darkness in teh summer months in the UK) In the northern hemisphere at this time of year, the milky way runs almost right through the very easy to find constellation of Cygnus. It looks like a giant cross.

I've marked it out in this shot.

Going Home 4final-flip-flat-darker.jpg

Last edited:
Partially correct.… but there are certainly places on earth that give dramatically better views of it.
Aware of this, I noted…

view on our "mother ship!" and keep looking up!

Aware of this, I noted…

But that doesn't explain why you'll never get a shot like this....

VLT-MilkyWayMoonPanorama-5961-net.jpg

...from the united kingdom, or indeed anywhere in northern and mid Europe... ever... no matter how dark... no matter how fast your lens, or low in noise your sensor is... you will never, ever get a shot like this from the northern hemisphere.

Your post doesn't say that at all.

[edit] Not my shot... random from the 'net.

Last edited:

View attachment 72412

...from the united kingdom, or indeed anywhere in northern and mid Europe... ever... no matter how dark... no matter how fast your lens, or low in noise your sensor is... you will never, ever get a shot like this from the northern hemisphere.

Man that's an incredible shot!! Absolutely stunning! Shame you didn't catch it though :(!

Just a shame we live in an area that doesn't get such good photos of stuff like this! But I guess we have to make do! :)

I don't think anyone got as specific as to seeing that part! It was a few general pointers as to seeing it which unless I'm mistaken it can be seen in the UK, Northern hemisphere etc etc etc
On the plus side we don't have to that butt ugly buildings. :)

After visiting New Zealand earlier this year, I could easily catch the Milky Way bug! I'm off to Sicily in a couple of weeks, where I hope I can find some spots with low light pollution and clear skies.

I've just been playing round with two tools that look like they could be very useful in planning shoots anywhere in the world: The Photographer's Ephemeris (http://photoephemeris.com/) and Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org/). The latter has dampened my expectations for Sicily!

I found this helpful (and it shows how to use the two tools above):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMN_rpSe7MQ

Check out the Photopills App, very useful if you don't mind parting with a few quid.

Back