Critique Millau Viaduct: Afternoon to blue hour

1 and 4 for me.
Love the mood of 1 but think it would be a stronger image in B&W

$ has got the trails just bang on and just enough detail in th shadows to give the image context and scale

Reactions: ST4
Yeah, oddly enough the first is my favourite. Great set though and interesting to see how much it all changes over an afternoon.

I like the muted tones in the first and think it would lose some of the "mood" if converted to mono.

Yeah, oddly enough the first is my favourite. Great set though and interesting to see how much it all changes over an afternoon.

I like the muted tones in the first and think it would lose some of the "mood" if converted to mono.

I tried mono, I couldn't make it work at all. I love just going to a spot and watching the light change and how this effects the landscape. Its great to take some time out and just enjoy the air, the views and this epic structure.

1 and 4 are my favourites. Probably equally. Love the atmospheric clouds on 1 and the tones and light trails of 4.
The rest are also very good.

Great set of images Steve, good composition and detail in highlights & shadows. Really nice to see virtually the same shot at various times of the day.(y)

George.

An excellent sequence. A pity perhaps that no 2 is from a slightly different viewpoint.

What an amazing construction this viaduct is! We went over it in thick cloud......could have been on dry land!

I will be back...this spring. Hoping for dramatic clouds and plays on light. Its a magnificent structure, one of the finest in the world

The first and last shots for me too. It's an epic construction. Did you make time to drive underneath it too? It's really impressive to look up at its grandeur!

The first and last shots for me too. It's an epic construction. Did you make time to drive underneath it too? It's really impressive to look up at its grandeur!

Of course. The view from down below probably shows the sheer height of the thing better but photographically I couldn't make it work. ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1445608518.557095.jpg

Here's a snap from my car for interests sake.

There's a river but you'd have to breach a rail line but there's epic reflection and wide angle scope down there if you can get to it..

I think i remember that very same road. I couldnt make it work either.
I look forward to seeing your shots of the river, gotta be done!

chelsea-29.jpg

Its amazing driving over it, great shots, driving back from Spain next thursday probably going this route again.

I think i remember that very same road. I couldnt make it work either.
I look forward to seeing your shots of the river, gotta be done!

chelsea-29.jpg

Nice car, I drive Volvo as I cannot get a Saab these days. I will try getting to the river, back in mid march. Want a vivid pinky sky for the sunset and to shoot the other direction so will be climbing. 1 night stay will do it.

#2 for me. It screams patience. Like you really waited for the light to bathe the FG foliage in wonderful light.

Yeah, I really like this one.

Cheers.

#2 for me. It screams patience. Like you really waited for the light to bathe the FG foliage in wonderful light.

Yeah, I really like this one.

Cheers.

There is an element of patience, I was stood there for an hour. But I didn't care, I just loved the view, relative quietness and ever softening light. Taking some time, being still, and just taking it in, its great.

Number 1 for a several reasons. First, it shows the massiveness of it more. When clouds are below your subject, you know you're dealing with BIG! Second, I'm sick to death of images with fluffy white clouds, and I actually like low contrast lighting from overcast skies. I think they render the world beautifully.

The night time shots lose that sense of scale to me. They're nice enough, but don't do the subject justice like number 1.

Number 1 does have a slightly off putting green hue here though.

Hope you don't mind, but I white balanced it and did a 50/50 split.

21632982425_f05dc22de8_c.jpg

Left corrected, right as posted.

Just my opinion, but seems... healthier somehow with a neutral sky.

3, 4 and 5 will probably give you the most likes on Flickr though... particularly 4 and 5 as they tick the eye candy boxes well, but number 1 is clearly doing the best job of talking about the subject.

Yeah, oddly enough the first is my favourite. .

Why oddly?

Last edited:
Number 1 for a several reasons. First, it shows the massiveness of it more. When clouds are below your subject, you know you're dealing with BIG! Second, I'm sick to death of images with fluffy white clouds, and I actually like low contrast lighting from overcast skies. I think they render the world beautifully.

The night time shots lose that sense of scale to me. They're nice enough, but don't do the subject justice like number 1.

Number 1 does have a slightly off putting green hue here though.

Hope you don't mind, but I white balanced it and did a 50/50 split.

View attachment 49061

Left corrected, right as posted.

Just my opinion, but seems... healthier somehow with a neutral sky.

3, 4 and 5 will probably give you the most likes on Flickr though... particularly 4 and 5 as they tick the eye candy boxes well, but number 1 is clearly doing the best job of talking about the subject.

Why oddly?

Edit away.

Co-indentally I have another clouds one, not quite as shrowded in clouds as one but pretty overcast.

_DSC5030 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Stunning engineering in that bridge and some good photographs. i hope to visit there one day. Love the night shots

Love the mood in 1, wonderful light in 2. The only slight shame about number 1 is the buildings in the background between the pillars, not sure if you could darken them a little without it looking unnatural. Cloning out is an option but I personally feel uneasy about doing that if it does happen to be a known view. Lovely shot though. Like the way the clouds follow the arch of the bridge in 2. Imagine it could look striking in mono too.

Back