minotla auto 132x hot shoe flash

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

My son is starting a photography course in September, he needed a 35mm slr with flash and a digital slr.

I have bought him a praktica ee2 35mm slr camera and a minolta auto 132x flash, the camera came with full intructions but the flash did not! The problem is we cannot get the flash to work!! with the camera.

I have bought brand new batteries for the flash and if you press the test button the flash will go off. I have tried checking the manual for the camera and it does not give much help

Does any know how to work the flash with the camera?? or has a manual they could post a link to or email me a copy.

I know this is not probably the correct place to post this, but the camera needs a battery to allow light in(?) and the voltage is 4.5 is there any where you can buy one?? or is there an up to date version I can buy (the battery shape is like an AA but a bit bigger)

Many thanks.

I can't find out much about this flashgun, but I did find this....

Electroflash 132X -- Designed for the XD and XG (and later) cameras, the unit will automatically set the camera to the synch speed . Some find this a neat convenience feature. Others have problems because slower shutters cannot be selected. In fact, they can be seletced, but it takes a bit of work. On the XD, XG, and later camert causes an LED to blink in the viewfinder when the flash is "ready". A manual and auto-exposure unit using 4 AA batteries and providing a GN of 105 in feet with ISO 100 speed film. It has a hot shoe and a PC connection.

It looks very much as though this is a 'dedicated' flashgun, which means it was designed to work with certain Minolta cameras and provide a high degree of automation in use.

It's most likely your Practica just doesn't have the electronic connections in the hot shoe to communicate with or fire the flashgun, which is why the flash will fire from the test button but not from the hot shoe.

The flash does work. I used a piece of wire and cross connected the contacts on the bottom and on the side and turned it on and the flash went off. SO I think it must be the camera any one with ideas of what I can do.

This may help re the camera

Bulb flash sync. at about 1/30 sec. Electronic flash sync. at about 1/125 sec. Requires PX21 4.5 v. battery for operation of shutter and metering. Exposure is determined at the time the shutter is released, thus giving better results in rapidly changing conditions. Viewfinder window grooved to accept accessories. 12 - 1600 ASA. No co-axial connection for flash. CdS meter. Fresnel viewing screen with split image rangefinder. Viewfnder display show shutter speeds and battery check.

It does indeed sound like the flash is dedicated to a specific camera series, and may not be compatible with the practica unfortunatley, camera systems use dfferent voltages and connections in the hot shoe to fire flashes.

As far as I am aware the flash is ok with the camera, I was sold it by a proper camera shop which sells vintage cameras. They informed me that the flash will work correctly with the EE2

As far as I am aware the flash is ok with the camera, I was sold it by a proper camera shop which sells vintage cameras. They informed me that the flash will work correctly with the EE2

Well, take it back to him and get him to prove it. It's unusual for a flash which is dedicated to a particular camera to work with another.

*get the shop to try the correct battery in the camera
Some Praktica camera batteries are no longer readily available :puke:

found a website that sells the battery, the flash works because when I bought it the flash was connected to another camera and it was shown to me as working. The flash test button also sets the flash off, I think that it might be something to do with the electrics inside the camera?? When I bought the flash the oowner did say that it would work with the EE2

found a website that sells the battery, the flash works because when I bought it the flash was connected to another camera and it was shown to me as working. The flash test button also sets the flash off, I think that it might be something to do with the electrics inside the camera?? When I bought the flash the oowner did say that it would work with the EE2

To me, that tells me that the flash WILL NOT WORK with your camera, if it was working on a different make/type of camera other than yours, it doesnt matter if it works with the test button or not. Take both the camera and the flash to the shop and get the shop to prove to you that it does indeed work, or give you your money back, im afraid thats the only advice i can really give.

I think that it might be something to do with the electrics inside the camera??
Correct. It's also to do with the electrics inside the flash though, they're almost certainly not compatible with each other. Not the cameras fault, not the flashes fault, just how it is.

When I bought the flash the oowner did say that it would work with the EE2
Why didn't he show you it working on the camera you bought? Take them back to him and get him to show you it working. Alternatively get him to swop the camera you got with the other one which obviously is compatible

Back