Minsk 2019 European Games

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
Currently out in Minsk for the 2nd European Games. Thought I would attempt a thread like I did with the rowing last year with some highlights from each day. Don't be surprised if I give up halfway through!

Here with Team Ireland, but also picking up anything else as sales through Getty in places like Armenia help to pay for my crippling addiction.... tea.

Getting around on the event transport buses is both easy and hard, easy in that it's simple to do, but hard in that it takes ages. So I have taken to local Uber type taxis. I'm get to be killed. Other then that, the city is great, very clean and open, and the weather has been on our side so far... just need it to be on the other side now to help even up the tan!

Athletics was an interesting one last night on Day 3. They have a new system called Dynamic New Athletics (DNA) in which countries play as a team against each other in a middle group, with point from each event adding to the country's total. Then, after the last event there is The Hunt - Mixed Medley Relay race where your team starts depending on their points total. First placed points goes off first, then second placed points next depending on points gap - 4 points I think was then 4 seconds. They run 800m, hand over to 600m, then 400 and finally 200m. Made for a great finish, as you'll see in No.9.

Day 1

1734040.jpg

1734395.jpg

1734490.jpg

Last edited:
Gosh you get to go to all the glamorous places. Admin any better than Glasgow?

All top quality and it makes me envious as I would love do that.

It's a tough gig. Very long days, and image delivery speed is essential. I've sent in off camera a few times today but the picture desk have butchered crops, so I've taken to doing it all myself, making life harder! Will scratch today off and start again tomorrow I think.

... but the picture desk have butchered crops, so I've taken to doing it all myself, making life harder!

You need me as your editor then!

Badminton is bloody fast but I preferred the low position near the net as you get a fraction more time to judge the shot.

Day 5. Cycling time trial, following by athletics again. Tried a couple of different things at the athletics. Shooting the long jump on a 400 as full frame as I could. And then the high jump with the flame in the background. Looks a little messy as I'm quite wide, and the empty stand doesn't really work, but was worth a shot.

1738783.jpg

1738952.jpg

1739019.jpg

Day 6. Struggled today. Nothing of note. So much so that I didn't bother updated last night as I was annoyed.

Anyways, a few. I did actually do Boxing and Canoeing but couldn't get a decent image out of them.

1739134.jpg

1739145.jpg

1739147.jpg

Day 8. Celebrations all round, as boxers reach finals, and badminton siblings reach semi-finals.

1740677.jpg

1741007.jpg

1741067.jpg

Realise I never finished this off with the final day! That's because the desk butchered almost everything, got crops wrong, edited them awfully and were so slow, prioritising stocks from the previous evening's GAA.

All in all a decent games. Learnt a lot personally and enjoyed it. Had a middle holiday following the event, taking in Budapest and Vienna. Came home to Dublin last night... and now off to Hong Kong this morning for a job. Washing my clothes at the communal washing machines at Tesco last night and eating my take away in the car was a week high point.

Oh the life of a photographer!

Back