Minsmere

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife & I are off to Minsmere for a couple of days at the beginning of July.

On trips like this I tend to take both my bodies, my long telephoto for birds, and a couple of other lenses. I'll also take my scope, although I tend to decide whether to use it once we get there, as carrying both is a pain.

It looks like a big site, and we'll be there all day for both days, although its our wedding anniversary on the 2nd day so we may cut that a bit short and find somewhere else to visit also.

Any tips regarding where to go on the site and what to look for?

Is there decent food on site (we're used to the luxuries of WWT Barnes!)

I'd definitely go round to Dunwich Heath nearby, to get the Dartford warblers. You can walk from Minsmere or park there

I'd definitely go round to Dunwich Heath nearby, to get the Dartford warblers. You can walk from Minsmere or park there

Rob, thank you. Neither of us have ever seen a Dartford Warbler (even though I was born in Dartford ;)) so the chance of seeing one would be great...

Ii is one one the best RSPB reserves, it is large and has several hides. I have found it better for birdwatching rather than photography given the distance between the hides and the birds. However you may be luckier than I was last time. The visitor centre, which has a cafe, will say what birds have been seen and where. They will give you a guide which shows what you may see at each hide.The wardens are very helpful as are most of the birders. Have a look at Tripadvisor for accommodation but I suggest you book soon as it is a popular area.

Enjoy.

Back