Beginner Missed the shot

Name
Antony
Edit My Images
No
View attachment 38181
D5500 ISO 100, 42 mm f/5.0 1/800 sec

My first real time using my camera yesterday and this bird jumped out on me focused around his feet unfortunately I didn't get the full shot I was to close. Had bracketing turned on and feel as though I have a lot of bad shots I took over 1000 with the bracketing so had some sorting out to do lesson learned. I feel as though the bracketing wasted a lot of shots which could of been used to capture more using continuous high instead is this a better idea?

I struggled with situations, moving targets I really struggled to get focus.

I did get a few good shots well for me they are ;) some birds underneath the amount I deleted was incredible and still have more to go through.

Cheeky looking bird by Antony Stobbs, on Flickr

Cheeky looking bird by Antony Stobbs, on Flickr

Peacock by Antony Stobbs, on Flickr

Last edited:
Slow down.. continuous high speed shooting won't help you get a better shot, it's like trying to improve your tennis game by getting a bigger racket because you keep missing the ball. You'll just be deleting twice as many as with bracketing!

Try practising a little and often, using everyday subjects. Concentrate on getting one good shot of a subject. That means understanding your camera and it's setting, and anticipating what the subject might do next.

Yes your right there I really need to understand my camera settings with the correct aperture and speed while in shutter mode of the subject and surroundings I am focusing on.

Slow down.. continuous high speed shooting won't help you get a better shot,
Sometimes it will help... I often "machine gun" birds in flight as they're often moving too quick to track & frame.

That said, I've never used the bracketing feature, and don't feel I need to learn to use it either (I'm sure someone will say otherwise :D )
Antony, the Kookaburra shots ("Cheeky looking bird), are actually ok, focus looks ok on both of them - given they're static, I'd not need to continuous shoot them, but a great opportunity to frame up and shoot.

As Alastair has said, knowing your camera controls and understanding the basics will really help... and then it's just the start, as you try to put it all into practice :confused:

I found I improved more when I took less images, which sounds counter intuitive but it's about slowing down and understanding rather than "spray and pray" in high speed drive mode ;)

If you set yourself a goal of posting one image per week on Flickr you'd have all week to get a shot you want to share.

Agree with all of the above. Would add that when you start out its a good idea to shoot animals/birds that you have easy access to so that you can control the situation more easily. Its a good idea to set up a bird feed station in your garden if you have the room, shoot from a window or make a hide in the garden. Hide doesn't have to be a camo tent the birds will get used to anything if its there long enough. I even stick a black plastic plant pot out of the whole where the camera lens goes and leave it there so the birds get used to it. That way you don't have the added problem of field craft to worry about and you can concentrate on getting used to your new camera settings and what works best.

Scott

Back