Misty York Minster

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent a few days in York and took the camera along - just in case.

I got a few weird looks as I had to lay on the floor to get the shot - but I was off to the side of the cycle path so avoided getting run over :)

Lots of cyclists going past in hi-vis jackets but I waited for a more subdued subject on an old bike.
Misty Minster
by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
“Cracking” shot, with the first presentation being my fav’.

George.

OP
OP
Dave Semmens
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice enough exposure wise- but those converging verticals on the Building do nothing for this image Im afraid

Les
I wanted to get the whole building front into the shot to show the mist in the background - so angling the lens up was my only option as I had no wider lens. Wider would also have made the cyclist smaller in the frame.

I wanted the effect to form a lead through the image. Everything leading right to left into the distance. I can see how it would not be liked by some but it was part of my artistic vision for the shot.

You have a valid point though :)

Last edited:
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I wanted to get the whole building front into the shot to show the mist in the background - so angling the lens up was my only option as I had no wider lens. Wider would also have made the cyclist smaller in the frame.

I wanted the effect to form a lead through the image. Everything leading right to left into the distance. I can see how it would not be liked by some but it was part of my artistic vision for the shot.

You have a valid point though :)
I think the converging verticals lend an element of dominance to the image.

If you lay on the ground (or even just stand) and look up at a tall building, the verticals converge naturally due to perspective.
To apply correction so that the building appeared upright would look most unnatural.

Name
Nightmare
Edit My Images
No
I think the converging verticals lend an element of dominance to the image.

If you lay on the ground (or even just stand) and look up at a tall building, the verticals converge naturally due to perspective.
To apply correction so that the building appeared upright would look most unnatural.
I completely disagree. Building is upright and is perceived as such. Anything else is breaking the reality. The photo is still clearly fixable in that regard.

Otherwise I think it's a great capture

Name
Nightmare
Edit My Images
No
Name
Nightmare
Edit My Images
No
Perspective means the verticals converge.
Your eyes obviously work differently to mine.
it is not about eyes and RAW unprocessed visual data at all. Visual cortex does a lot of very complex processing and yes, you are therefore always fully aware it is a proper upright building.

Let me give you some other examples. Indoors you should see windows as nearly pure white when indoors. Yet you don't.