Mixed bag of invertibrates with added mix

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Very nice - I wonder if the beetle, is a cockchafer although it is a good photo the angle is not quite right for me to see if it is.

Last edited:
Very nice - I wonder if the beetle, is a cockchafer although it is a good photo the angle is not quite right for me to see if it is.

Thanks David having looked it may be Welsh Chafer - Hoplia philanthus.

Nice set Alf, I really like the dung fly (y)

Thanks David having looked it may be Welsh Chafer - Hoplia philanthus.
Excellent I have never heard of that before I think you should irecord that it is looks rareish.
Apparently Cockchafers used to be so common that sometimes in France and Germany they were made into soup.
I wouldn't want to try that - but I would like to see them every year not once every two or three years :(

Nice set Alf, I really like the dung fly (y)

Thanks Chris

Excellent I have never heard of that before I think you should irecord that it is looks rareish.
Apparently Cockchafers used to be so common that sometimes in France and Germany they were made into soup.
I wouldn't want to try that - but I would like to see them every year not once every two or three years :(

David
They have been recorded in Cumbria before where do I record it. If my ID is correct it probably female https://www.ukbeetles.co.uk/hoplia-philanthus
I don't want beetle soup.

Last edited:
Another nice set Alf, I don't think I've ever seen a scorpion fly "in the flesh"

I think a broad-bodied chaser
Looks like one to me, again, well captured (y)

Another nice set Alf, I don't think I've ever seen a scorpion fly "in the flesh"

Looks like one to me, again, well captured (y)

Thanks Chris
Scorpion flies are common where I shoot especially in brambles

Alf, your mystery bug is a thistle tortoiseshell beetle larva.

Really nice find that one.

Paul.

Thanks Paul
I did get an ID on the tortoiseshell beetle larva the other day but Thanks for confirming it.

Back