Mobile phone top ups at ATM's stopping 1st June

At this precise moment I have no idea where my phone is, probably in the house or it might be in the car
I'll use the landline to ring it later and see, the top up thing doesn't really affect me, it's a sim only monthly contract which is capped so if |I have lost it tough, they can't run up a huge bill and as it has no personal/bank details on it
I really couldn't careless right now

Occasionally, when I make a purchase online, during the verification process my bank suspects that there may be fraudulent use of my CC. The transaction is suspended and I have to enter a code number sent by text to my mobile phone. If that happens to you, Ingrid, you could get quite annoyed if you don't know where your phone is :eek:

Using cards ends up costing everyone more. Every card transaction costs the retailer/service provider and since they're no longer allowed to charge people for card transactions, prices across the board have been raised to cover the transaction costs. Contactless transactions used to be free to the retailer but no longer and since the transaction is so easy, people are using them for very small amounts and while the transaction costs to the retailers are based on a percentage, there's a minimum charge so on a £1.50 transaction, there may be virtually no profit to the retailer.
Not for small amounts, no.

Yes, there's always been a cost with using a card but that cost used to be passed on to the customer - no longer permitted so the prices have been raised to cover the cost. AFAIA, all the providers have a minimum charge per transaction but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

There is a cost per transaction, which (for small retailers, large retailers will pay much less) appears to be around 2p per transaction and a small percentage service charge (capped by EU law at 0.2 and 0.3%)

Current charges

1. Credit card transaction charges – Usually between 1% and 3%
  2. Merchant service charges – 0.2% for debit cards and 0.3% for credit cards
  3. Minimum monthly service fees – around £10 (if applicable)
  4. Transaction authorisation fees – 2p per transaction
  5. Card machine price – £50 – £80 on average
  6. Set-up cost – £50 – £100 on average (one-off fee)
  7. PCI compliance fee – £3.50 per month
  8. Chargeback fees – Usually between £10 and £20

https://startups.co.uk/credit-card-processing-fees/

Here's another thing about card transactions you might not know. If you plug your card into a terminal (chip&pin) and something goes wrong the retailer is responsible, if you use contactless at that same terminal you are responsible.

Occasionally, when I make a purchase online, during the verification process my bank suspects that there may be fraudulent use of my CC. The transaction is suspended and I have to enter a code number sent by text to my mobile phone. If that happens to you, Ingrid, you could get quite annoyed if you don't know where your phone is :eek:

Thanks for your concern Doug, I now have it back, friend saw my post and rang me (y)
I knew it would most likely be in the house somewhere
I don't do much online shopping and if that happened I wouldn't continue, I use a separate
credit card that has n attachment to my main bank account
The phone is exactly as it say, whether it's right or wrong it's rarely connected to the net
not signed into anything, has a 7gb monthly allowance and I doubt I use 1gb of it my choice

It might in your world, but I have it in writing in my contract that I will never be charged more the £2 extra
in any one month
And with BT mobile you can set your own "cap" Anything from £2.50p upwards.

Here's another thing about card transactions you might not know. If you plug your card into a terminal (chip&pin) and something goes wrong the retailer is responsible, if you use contactless at that same terminal you are responsible.

What kind of things are you referring to that can go wrong?

I hope that doesn't get more widespread because receiving a text here means drive two miles up the hill.

Occasionally, when I make a purchase online, during the verification process my bank suspects that there may be fraudulent use of my CC. The transaction is suspended and I have to enter a code number sent by text to my mobile phone
I get that randomly too.

I hope that doesn't get more widespread because receiving a text here means drive two miles up the hill.
I get the option of a code sent to my mobile or a phone call to my LL

Fraud Dave.

Contactless fraud is not the problem of the card holder.

For example:

However in late July 2016, he spotted payments he hadn't made coming out of his account: five contactless purchases totalling nearly £30 were made at a retailer 30 miles away in Stoke-on-Trent.
After Justin contacted Halifax, he was told fraudsters were using his cancelled stolen debit card to make contactless purchases – and warned the contactless function on the card could continue to work for an unknown length of time. The bank has also advised him to keep a vigilant eye on his accounts because no one is sure if the card's contactless function is still working or not.
Halifax has now refunded Justin for the thefts, paid him £6 for the cost of calls he made to the fraud team and £100 for the distress and inconvenience he'd experienced. A spokesperson for the bank told us: "In the unlikely event that contactless transactions have been made on a cancelled lost or stolen card, we will always refund the customer in order to ensure they are not out of pocket."

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...ctless-fraud-months-after-youve-cancelled-it/

RBS, Lloyds and Santander all say their systems can pick up contactless spending after a card is reported stolen, with Santander saying it would proactively contact customers to verify any payments, and Lloyds saying it would automatically refund any payment after a theft.

Barclaycard says: “When a customer reports a card lost or stolen, a block is applied to the card preventing all further activity. However, some contactless transactions are processed offline so may not appear on a customer’s account until after the block has been applied.”

It says payments that had been made offline on the day of cancellation may be applied to accounts and would be refunded when the customer identified them; payments made on days after the cancellation will not be taken from an account.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...ts-card-fraud-after-cancellation-bank-account

Last edited by a moderator:
Contactless fraud is not the problem of the card holder.

Fraud on a contactless card is not the responsibility of the 'retailer', because there is 'technically' no physical connection between the card and the reader, one of the major reasons why the retail industry was so keen to promote contactless.
I accept that the 'your responsibility' part is not quite correct any more, banks will reimburse most of the cash you lose to fraud but it's still your responsibility to report it asap.

Fraud on a contactless card is not the responsibility of the 'retailer', because there is 'technically' no physical connection between the card and the reader, one of the major reasons why the retail industry was so keen to promote contactless.
I accept that the 'your responsibility' part is not quite correct any more, banks will reimburse most of the cash you lose to fraud but it's still your responsibility to report it asap.

Contactless fraud is the bank’s problem. Full stop.

Back