Monkey World

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
It's not often I share my pics, but armed with a new 1.4x convertor (bought on these very forums) and on holiday I took a trip to Monkey World in Dorset.

Anyone familiar with the park know which chimp this is?

IMG_6967 by Lee Reilly, on Flickr​

I cannot help you with the chimps name Lee. But I went there on monday and found it the hardest place to photograph the animals ever. I was expecting it to be tough with all the wire fencing and thick glass but it doesn't help when intelligent animals see you and don't want to be photographed. The Orangutans in particular found ways of hiding away. You've taken a great picture and it suits being black and white.

Thanks for the comments Andrew.

Is it is tough there, the fences are really a no-go but the windows aren't too bad if you can find a clean bit and get right up to the glass (a rubber lens hood is supposed to help). Then it's all down to your patience or luck.

This one was taken from the enclosure next to the cafe. It has a balcony so you have clear view, I used my 70-200 with a 1.4TC to get a bit more reach. The rest was down to luck.

Must have been my day, wish I had bought a lottery ticket too, lol.

Last edited:
I emailed the park to ask, and I've just had a reply. It's Simon, part of Hananya's group.

They've asked if I could send them the photo to use. Normally I would have said no, but I do support the park and have been visiting it on and off for 10 years so I'm more than happy for them to use it.

Back