Monopod / Gimbal Heads for Sports

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I use a monopod with my large telephoto for sports photogpraphy (mostly football), and get by with it ok but am wondering whether to go for a gimbal head with it. So just canvassing views on this... would it help or hinder ? would it be more useful/appropriate for a tripod than a monopod, or good for a monopod too ? Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks.

I use both a gimbal and a monopod with my long lenses when doing cricket. You always have the time and space to go either way.

I've never given any thought to using the gimbal for footy because they tend not to like tripods being used at professional semi-prpfessional footy grounds. Having said that, now that you've raised the possibility I'm intrigued by the possibility of using the gimbal for footy and wouldn't mind giving it a go.

I was thinking it may (?) make moving the camera/lens around easier but the penalty would be the extra weight. I’d be interested to hear how you get on if you do try it Also I was thinking specifically of gimbal+monopod as I was thinking of footy mostly where tripods aren’t really practical.

A lightweight gimbal would probably be best ,something along the lines of a jobu junior or if funds will allow a carbon fibre one coupled with a c.f monopod .

That’s what I was wondering really - is it self defeating ? It seems to make it easier to adjust the direction of the camera, especially up and down, but makes it a much heavier piece of kit to carry, so self defeating in that respect. Thanks for replying.

It seems to make it easier to adjust the direction of the camera, especially up and down,

You may have considered something similar already but how about the RRS MH-01 Monopod Head, particularly for the "up and down" motion?

I have tried my Wimberley Gimbal on a monopod but found it way too cumbersome.

GC

You may have considered something similar already but how about the RRS MH-01 Monopod Head, particularly for the "up and down" motion?

I have tried my Wimberley Gimbal on a monopod but found it way too cumbersome.

GC

I have the Sirui L10 tilt head on my monopod.......this is an alternative to the RRS one that you mentioned ;)

Thanks for those tips! The RRS and Sirui both look interesting!

Personally I use a Sunwayfoto DB-44 ballhead with variable friction for my monopod, doesn't require any tools or special up/down settings.
Just fit the camera & lens, adjust the ballhead and friction stop and it's ready to go.

I have tried all sorts of combinations on various monopods but have settled on a Gitzo GM4562 Traveller carbon monopod which is both very sturdy and compact. Adding a Gitzo Bigfoot swivel foot totally transforms it for panning. I found that ballheads on a monopod were a crazy idea and asking for trouble with a big lens mounted and this was in spite of using high quality ballheads like Acratech and RRS.

The Jobu Jr-3 (Deluxe version in my case) has no problem whatsoever in supporting a Canon 500mm + 2x + 1DX-2 on either a monopod or tripod or Skimmer and is the smallest gimbal currently on the market - It's the gimbal I travel with.

Instead of a ballhead I strongly recommend a RRS Two-way head with QR lever clamp. You simply don't need the multi-directional capabilities of any ballhead on a monopod when you fit a swivel foot.

Never had any trouble using the Sunwayfoto DB-44 (with friction control) either with 500 f4 prime, 200-500 or 150-600 Sport on D850 or D500.
Rather than being a "crazy idea", it actually works very well for me, maybe you are better off with what you use. :)

Never had any trouble using the Sunwayfoto DB-44 (with friction control) either with 500 f4 prime, 200-500 or 150-600 Sport on D850 or D500.
Rather than being a "crazy idea", it actually works very well for me, maybe you are better off with what you use. :)

.... I am most definitely better off with what I use - No more trapped fingers, no more slippage when carrying over shoulder, no more having to lock down so hard.

But each to their own and we each have our different preferences. I'm just trying to help by sharing my experiences.

But each to their own and we each have our different preferences. I'm just trying to help by sharing my experiences.

It's good to share experiences Robin but it isn't necessary to rubbish the experiences of others. :)

It's good to share experiences Robin but it isn't necessary to rubbish the experiences of others. :)

.... Really? Just which of my words do you interpret as "rubbishing" the experiences of others?

Just because my opinions based directly on my firsthand experiences may not be the same as those of others, probably your good self, it doesn't mean I am "rubbishing" the experiences of others.

Readers are free to disagree or agree with my findings - It's entirely up to them, and you.

What would I be usefully contributing to readers here if I was not absolutely honest in my opinions?

I use the RRS monopod head on a Feisol 1471 to support my 1DX and canon 500mm F4 prime set up. It works great.

https://www.feisol.eu/product/feisol-einbeinstativ-cm-1471-rapid/?lang=en

I also have one of these on it but never use it to be honest, just on the tripod, I just swivel the monopod

https://www.feisol.eu/product/feisol-panning-base-pb-70/?lang=en

This is the head, but mine has the screw clamp on it as I prefer it, one thing I did off the bat was to reverse the head clamp 180 degrees so the clamp screw is on the right and the tilt on the left, thus stopping me accidentally turning the clamp screw when looking through the viewfinder. they also do a version now where you can rotate the head 90 degrees without having to undo the screw for using a camera plate as well.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mh-01

Last edited:
[QUOTE="TonyT, post: 8612286, member: 87800This is the head, but mine has the screw clamp on it as I prefer it, one thing I did off the bat was to reverse the head clamp 180 degrees so the clamp screw is on the right and the tilt on the left, thus stopping me accidentally turning the clamp screw when looking through the viewfinder. they also do a version now where you can rotate the head 90 degrees without having to undo the screw for using a camera plate as well.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mh-01[/QUOTE]

.... That RRS head with QR lever you posted a link to is exactly the one I have on my Gitzo monopod and the monopod has a swivelling 'Big Foot'.

Like you, it was happy supporting a Canon 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4L II when I had one. I am no longer Canon.

[QUOTE="TonyT, post: 8612286, member: 87800This is the head, but mine has the screw clamp on it as I prefer it, one thing I did off the bat was to reverse the head clamp 180 degrees so the clamp screw is on the right and the tilt on the left, thus stopping me accidentally turning the clamp screw when looking through the viewfinder. they also do a version now where you can rotate the head 90 degrees without having to undo the screw for using a camera plate as well.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mh-01

.... That RRS head with QR lever you posted a link to is exactly the one I have on my Gitzo monopod and the monopod has a swivelling 'Big Foot'.

Like you, it was happy supporting a Canon 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4L II when I had one. I am no longer Canon.[/QUOTE]
Wondering what the fundamental difference is between the Sirui L-10 and the mh-01 apart from about £150

Like you, it was happy supporting a Canon 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4L II when I had one. I am no longer Canon.

Wondering what the fundamental difference is between the Sirui L-10 and the mh-01 apart from about £150

.... I am no longer Canon too - I moved to Olympus E-M1X Pro system last November and although I loved my Canon I am now much more enabled.

I have had a Sirui carbon gimbal and that put me off Sirui products. RRS always cost more but when you use them you realise how thoroughly well design considered they are and their manufacturing quality is excellent. It's a brand I feel I can always trust. I also particularly like their 2-stage Quick Release levers.

I am keeping my RRS head + Gitzo monopod combo in case I go for the forthcoming Olympus 150-400mm+1.25x Pro lens as a monopod can be helpful to hold a shooting position for a few minutes.

Back