Mont Blanc Sunrise and Sunset

The light direction at sunset sculpts the hill better. A question - do you have thoughts on processing these and similar patches of sunlit snow? There is something that never quite looks right to me in my pictures about the fade from pink edges to yellow centres of the patches. I'm never sure the actual snow looks like this.

The light direction at sunset sculpts the hill better. A question - do you have thoughts on processing these and similar patches of sunlit snow? There is something that never quite looks right to me in my pictures about the fade from pink edges to yellow centres of the patches. I'm never sure the actual snow looks like this.

I know exactly what you mean - and it shows most at 100%...

I think you need to get it right in the exposure stage - expose towards the right and you can clip say one channel but don't clip all 3 - I try avoid blinkies at the back, you can get away with a few so long as in the RAW there aren't any 255, 255, 255 pixels.

Snow has a refractive quality - so it picks up these subtle colours....I don't mind it...it gets messy though if you have to pull the highlights back I find the recovered area's don't look right

It was hazy b*****d of a day...so getting the balance between some contrast but retaining the soft feeling of the day was a tricky one.

This may be heresy, but I'm not a great fan of 'ettr' for exactly that reason, whether it's snow, sky or anything else that's to the right of the histogram. I'd rather have everything a little darker, with highlights away from the right hand side, and work with that - and blinkies are a complete no.

This may be heresy, but I'm not a great fan of 'ettr' for exactly that reason, whether it's snow, sky or anything else that's to the right of the histogram. I'd rather have everything a little darker, with highlights away from the right hand side, and work with that - and blinkies are a complete no.

I go towards the right, blacks can be added in later if need be and your signal to noise ratio is improved - less of an issue with modern camera's operating at base ISO as even 5 stops can be recovered without any visible noise. I try and expose maybe 1/3rd over - avoid clipping but also blockling. I hate to have area's of complete black unless it is naturally a high contrast scene

Yo

You just need a few - they are judged by the JPEG embedded in the RAW - not the final final...a few is fine...a lot probably is goosed

In Landscapes defo - in Weddings, not so much as it doesn't so much matter how many but where they are :)

Still love them though, FAR more useful than a Histogram to me

Dave

Love number 1 - not sure the bottom of the image adds much though. I may have cropped it off.

Dave.

Initially I went with a much wider letter box crop - I think for this reason but I think it helps illustrate just how high this thing is. You don't get mountains like this, anywhere here in the UK. I think a bit less haze would have helped a lot...but at least it wasn't too cold when I took this.

What I wouldn't give to be back in Chamonix.

Back