Moody Snowdonia

Edit My Images
No
Hello folks, for the past week I've spent most of my time traipsing around the Glyderau mountains here in Snowdonia because I didn't want to drive for more than ten minutes!

I've been all over the place and climbed Glyder Fawr three times in four evenings and have been scuppered by clag for the most part.

I've not been gifted with the light I really love but have tried to work with what I've been given and capture the atmosphere of the place.

Here's a few shots and thanks for looking :)

Y Glyderau by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Bwlch Tryfan by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

An Autumnal afternoon on Y Foel Goch by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Walking on the moon - Kris Williams on Glyder Fawr by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great work as always, but the 3rd is a stand out winner for me with the strong autumnal reds.

2&3 for me! Had a hike up there last week but middle of the day - it's a fair pull to the top and coming down "devils kitchen" was a bit hairy - will definitely go back when the light is right - would like to capture the cantilever stone in the right conditions

Well done in maximising what is available.
I am drawn to No2, with its powerful composition, strong profile and dynamic light.
Great capture and lovely pp.

Excellent set :) Love No3

Great work as always, but the 3rd is a stand out winner for me with the strong autumnal reds.

Thanks Alan, the colours are really turning now, the best part of the year is almost upon us!

2&3 for me! Had a hike up there last week but middle of the day - it's a fair pull to the top and coming down "devils kitchen" was a bit hairy - will definitely go back when the light is right - would like to capture the cantilever stone in the right conditions

The atmosphere is rather different in the middle of the day isn't it? I came down the kitchen path two nights running in pitch blackness, not too hairy if you're very familiar with it ;)

Well done in maximising what is available.
I am drawn to No2, with its powerful composition, strong profile and dynamic light.
Great capture and lovely pp.

Thanks RM, I've been guilty in the past of giving up when the light wasn't to my liking but I'm having to try harder now as I'm writing a fotoVUE guide to the Snowdonian mountains...a challenging brief!

2&3 are stunning. Great results considering the conditions.

Ok..... reason I deleted previous Nick, Jerry got my back up comparing yourself with Dave, he of all fellow Photographers and MASTERS of the SHADOWS of Snowdonia as he is constantly out and about on the hills NOT ? compared you with him (Newbould)...shocking IMO anyway life is far to short so onwards and upwards all, Jerry keep on hitting that shutter and share more ofen on here ? Images that would be great Please....Rant Over!

Last edited:
Lovely stuff Nick #2 is my favourite.

Ok..... reason I deleted previous Nick, Jerry got my back up comparing yourself with Dave, he of all fellow Photographers and MASTERS of the SHADOWS of Snowdonia as he is constantly out and about on the hills NOT ? compared you with him...shocking IMO anyway life is far to short so onwards and upwards all, Jerry keep on hitting that shutter and share more ofen on here ? Please.

Mate, I suspected some kind of rant! Do you know what? I sit on my hands trying not to rant myself on here...all the time! The TP forum is a very small world but one in which I like to inhabit if somewhat on the periphery. I usually post after a bevy and wonder why in the morning but it's all about the (almost) instant gratification of people liking what I do which I don't really need on this forum anymore. Where I am with my photography and the things I'm doing make it all rather pointless and I take any criticism with a pinch of salt, especially from those who say a lot but are no great shakes in UK landscape photography in that nobody has ever heard of them.

Still, it's nice to be a part of a community and that's why I continue to post. It can be fun, I like to see what others are up to and when I see images I like I take the time to comment in a positive way.

As for the Dave thing? I used to hang his posters on my wall before I seriously picked up a camera and his best images still do it for me. His current work I am not too sold on but it is obvious that when he was king around here he put in an awful lot of effort and it shows.

I'd like to say that my images are hard won and I suffer to get them but that wouldn't be the case. I adore being out in the mountains as you know and that is my raison d'etre, not the pursuit of pretty pictures ;)

I feel we need a day on the hill together again...it must be a couple of years now!

Last edited:
Indeed Dave oh sorry Nick lol I'm out tomorrow from llaberis via Moel Eilio can't wait weather front clearing about the 10th time trying last couple months fantastic ridge with plenty of fresh air and camera if Mother Nature turns up lol ps when is the launch of your book as I'm after a signed copy Sir

Indeed Dave oh sorry Nick lol I'm out tomorrow from llaberis via Moel Eilio can't wait weather front clearing about the 10th time trying last couple months fantastic ridge with plenty of fresh air and camera if Mother Nature turns up lol ps when is the launch of your book as I'm after a signed copy Sir

I'm out too but not sure where just yet, that Moel Eilio walk should come up trumps for you, it's wonderful in changeable weather as you will well know!

It's been tricky lately hasn't it? Very hit and miss but more miss than hit! But Snowdonia does that to us and we love her all the same...

The book 'should' be out next June and we will be having a big launch night at Siabod...a long way off or so it seems and much work to do ;)

You're right, all these have a very moody feel to them. I enjoyed 1 and 2 for having been on the Glyderau and recognising the scene, albeit in different conditions to those I witnessed.
3 is the clear winner for me, real atmospheric, great lighting, and compositionally strong. Nice work Nick

Don't post much on here anymore but caught the comments ref Dave Newbold..... Dave's one of the "original" mountain photographers and his striking photographs were the first that caught my eye when I started getting into photography around North Wales, in a way I think he actually created or certainly fore led the current trend of "people in the landscape" shots which many have copied and credit to him for it. I know unfortunately he's not finding it as easy as it was to get up the mountains these days so I guess he's adapting his style a little...nice guy and one that many of us around here very much admire for the effort he put into his photography when times were not quite so convenient as it is with digital

Simon

Don't post much on here anymore but caught the comments ref Dave Newbold..... Dave's one of the "original" mountain photographers and his striking photographs were the first that caught my eye when I started getting into photography around North Wales, in a way I think he actually created or certainly fore led the current trend of "people in the landscape" shots which many have copied and credit to him for it. I know unfortunately he's not finding it as easy as it was to get up the mountains these days so I guess he's adapting his style a little...nice guy and one that many of us around here very much admire for the effort he put into his photography when times were not quite so convenient as it is with digital

Simon

Hi Simon, I agree with every word. I think what Dave and I have in common is our shared background in mountaineering and the fact that we were active in the hills long before we picked up a camera. Many of his images shot on film still cut the mustard today, a true artist.

I really like No 3 Nick the colours against the backdrop of Foel Goch is quite lovely, very nice layers.
No1 and 2 have a really nice atmosphere about them hard to explain, but just a cold heavy feel i like it.
Nice scale that Kris gives to the Glyders feels a little light especially in the foreground off the others..

I really like these, a classic set

Back