Moorland colours

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got one of my favourite shoots on Sunday, out on the moors just 10 mins from home. Trying to achieve the "wildness" and "atmosphere" of the area through the manipulation of colours when editing in LR. Any hints or tips would be more than welcome.aa (1 of 1).jpg

OK, here's what I did:

The image was quite blue, so I neutralised it, dropped highlights for the sky, boosted shadows, W&B points, touch of clarity to make it pop a bit.
Mozzie1.jpg

Into curves, boosted highlights to make it pop a bit more.
Mozzie2.jpg

Over to HSL. Used the colour picker tool to boost saturation of the grasses etc.
Mozzie3.jpg

Used the picker again to increase luminosity of the grasses.
Mozzie4.jpg

I used a gradient filter to de-saturate (-27) the sky top RHS & a brush to lift the shadows on the runners face (+25).mozzie5.jpg

Finally the crop.
mozzie6.jpg

Does that work for what you wanted? Unfortunately a lot of the sky is 'gone' in the jpg file.

Last edited:
Thanks @ancient_mariner for taking the time and trouble to have a bash. I really don't know what I'm looking for …. until I hit on it. I hate staying in one spot and every shot looking the same. It would be great to have the luxury of each runner performing exactly as I wanted them to. Scouting a few positions in the next day or two. It doesn't mater to the runners but it does to me. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Just had a quick play how I'd do it, you could go to town and blur round him a bit to emphasise his *focus*, but I went for realism so far as possible.
I'd probably have cropped out the dark peaty bank at the bottom too

aa (2of 2).jpg

I guess square crop might have been for instagram but like this he's on the thirds.
I've deliberately softened some of the scratchy grass which is often hard to deal with

aa.jpg

Last edited:
'Dark peaty bank' gives texture of ground - feel of place - context. Helps to express what the runners are up against. Leave it in.

Last edited:
Thanks @4wd. It's interesting to see other people's take on an image. There is SO little I can do in terms of positioning the runner, effort and style etc. Most runners don't give a toss, but they are my images and I want ME to be satisfied with them. I've gone SQUARE format for a change and it has made me learn a bit more about Photoshop. I know how to set up an action and all the stuff that goes with it. Don't have an Instagram a/c as I don't have a mobile.
One of my favourite images below. Reminded me of soldiers going over the topuntitled-1-6.jpg in WW1 The runner on the right was suffering badly from cramp.

Back