More 2018 Images from the Spectators Side of the fence

by Christ, I hope the grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence...

it's already bloody luminous in those shots!

2 words

Screen Calibration

bright and clear is one thing but these are just ridiculous.

by Christ, I hope the grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence...

it's already bloody luminous in those shots!

2 words

Screen Calibration

bright and clear is one thing but these are just ridiculous.

Your comment doesn't make a lot of sense? I have had feedback from pro's saying that the images are a little oversaturated and will be using a little less saturation next year. I don't understand what you are referring to about "screen calibration", is it the fact the images are too soft? I had to reduce the image quality so I could upload the images on here, I think I have underdone it, but I'll work on it for future uploards.

Last edited:
Your comment doesn't make a lot of sense? I have had feedback from pro's saying that the images are a little oversaturated and will be using a little less saturation next year. I don't understand what you are referring to about "screen calibration", is it the fact the images are too soft? I had to reduce the image quality so I could upload the images on here, I think I have underdone it, but I'll work on it for future uploards.

Hey mate, what he means (while indelicately put) is that your screen may not be displaying colour as it appears to the rest of us, so when you’re editing it looks right to you but appears on our screens as overly saturated. The greens are a bit over cooked on the last two certainly, as above just tone down overall saturation a touch.

Last edited:
Hey mate, what he means (while indelicately put) is that your screen may not be displaying colour as it appears to the rest of us, so when you’re editing it looks right to you but appears on our screens as overly saturated. The greens are a bit over cooked on the last two certainly, as above just tone down overall saturation a touch.
Oh ok thanks. I'll have a look in to it.

That would be my advice too, your panning skills are great but tone down the processing a little bit. The colours are quite unrealistic and cartoony, and on the second shot the contrast / clarity sliders look to be a little overdone too. Nothing that can't be fixed, the beauty of digital photography is that you can go back and re-edit stuff. What monitor / laptop do you use? I fell into this trap in the past by using a laptop with a poor screen.

That would be my advice too, your panning skills are great but tone down the processing a little bit. The colours are quite unrealistic and cartoony, and on the second shot the contrast / clarity sliders look to be a little overdone too. Nothing that can't be fixed, the beauty of digital photography is that you can go back and re-edit stuff. What monitor / laptop do you use? I fell into this trap in the past by using a laptop with a poor screen.

Thanks Richard, I will work on tuning down the processing.
I use an HP Pavillion laptop for my processing, I havn't got a screen calibrator though.

Last edited:
7X1A7150.jpg@RichardC27[/USER] and @Graphix501 what do you think of this one. Its one of the above images, but I've turned down the processing. On my screen the colors look underdone, but let me know what they look like on your screens. I'll look at getting a screen calibrator after Christmas.

Attachments

• 7X1A7150.jpg
    7X1A7150.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
@RichardC27 and @Graphix501 what do you think of this one. Its one of the above images, but I've turned down the processing. On my screen the colors look underdone, but let me know what they look like on your screens. I'll look at getting a screen calibrator after Christmas. View attachment 140635

That looks better to me... Laptop screens are notoriously crap unless you own a top line Mac or Windows machines, it’s worth either upgrading your laptop or the cheaper option is getting a screen you can dock when you’re not editing on the go

That looks better to me... Laptop screens are notoriously crap unless you own a top line Mac or Windows machines, it’s worth either upgrading your laptop or the cheaper option is getting a screen you can dock when you’re not editing on the go
Is another option to get a screen calibrator would that help?

The problem with laptops like the Pavillion is they use cheaper panels that only display a fraction of the sRGB colourspace, and even less of Adobe RGB. Something like your laptop probably only achieves 55% of sRGB, so you can only see half the colours your camera has captured. Calibrating the screen will help a bit, but it won't solve this fundamental issue. As Jonny says, you either need a top of the line laptop (expensive) or an external monitor with 100% sRGB coverage which you've calibrated(much cheaper). You can then be sure your colours are accurate. Either of those two images you've posted is much better.

A bit of an introduction to colourspace and the effect it can have on your photos here: https://fstoppers.com/pictures/adobergb-vs-srgb-3167

Last edited:
The problem with laptops like the Pavillion is they use cheaper panels that only display a fraction of the sRGB colourspace, and even less of Adobe RGB. Something like your laptop probably only achieves 55% of sRGB, so you can only see half the colours your camera has captured. Calibrating the screen will help a bit, but it won't solve this fundamental issue. As Jonny says, you either need a top of the line laptop (expensive) or an external monitor with 100% sRGB coverage which you've calibrated(much cheaper). You can then be sure your colours are accurate. Either of those two images you've posted is much better.

Thanks Richard for your reply. I'll look at getting an external monitor. @RichardC27 & @Graphix501 I'm very grateful for your help and advice, this could have gone on for months without me realising.

It might not be worth it, the cheap screens do a crappy job of covering the colour gamut so only get as close as they can.... this means your prints can still look out of whack compared to the screen... they are cheaper than a screen though, I like Richard have experienced just how much a crap screen hampers image editing but then again I’m also a pixel peeping nerd

Thanks Richard for your reply. I'll look at getting an external monitor. @RichardC27 & @Graphix501 I'm very grateful for your help and advice, this could have gone on for months without me realising.

No problem, that's what the forum is here for. I've learned absolutely loads in the nearly 10 years I've been on this forum. Just out of interest what phone do you have? Most high end iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones have pretty colour accurate, calibrated screens. You can always use your phone to check your edits if you're stuck for a new laptop or external monitor

So, I havn't bought a new screen yet, I'm saving up for one. But I have looked at the images on my phone and believe I have now fixed the problem. I've created all new lightroom presets for this season and they are definately not as bold colors as the ones I used last year.

Back