More Badgers

flossyplops

Read my username twice. Don't get it wrong.
Name
Heidi
Edit My Images
Yes
Still showing well from around 6.30pm onwards

_MG_6652.jpg

_MG_6493.jpg

_MG_6425%20-%20Copy.jpg

Great moments captured here, Heidi.

Though these may be natural as captured,
free artistic intent in PP may be used to op-
timize viewing pleasure.

great shots i have never seen a living badger only dead ones at the side of the road
your very lucky to see them

Nice work Heidi, this is a really good project you've got going. What are your settings for these? If possible it may be worth pushing the ISO a bit more to get a faster shutter speed for the extra sharpness next time, there is just a little blur creeping in.

I like the compositions with the ones in the set, and the ground level view of number 2 is superb.

Please keep them coming.

Mike

Thanks for the comments and advice, I am very lucky, I also get to watch 60+ clips of all the cubs on trailcam every morning, that makes for some fun viewing. I do struggle with shutter speed as the Badger sett is in a wooded area so my hide has to face inwards, its also surrounded by very tall old tree's which doesn't help the light. I have my ISO on auto, would I be better actually setting it at a certain number? I am getting ground level sett shots as my hide is lower than the bank that the sett is built into. I may move my hide this week to get some different angles.

Thanks for the comments and advice, I am very lucky, I also get to watch 60+ clips of all the cubs on trailcam every morning, that makes for some fun viewing. I do struggle with shutter speed as the Badger sett is in a wooded area so my hide has to face inwards, its also surrounded by very tall old tree's which doesn't help the light. I have my ISO on auto, would I be better actually setting it at a certain number? I am getting ground level sett shots as my hide is lower than the bank that the sett is built into. I may move my hide this week to get some different angles.

Hi Heidi, wonderful shots. I have been trying to photograph badgers for a few years now with nowhere near the luck that you've had!

Yes, I would drop control your ISO maually. What I do is I find a shutter speed that I know isn't going to give me blur, so anything above 500th's of a second (usually 640 to be sure) - maybe lower if you are using a tripod. I then go to the lowest F stop, in my case F4. I then move the ISO until I can see on my meter that the shot will be well exposed. On some camera's high ISO creates a pretty poor image so you may need to play around with it.

Good luck, if you weren't so far away I'd be asking if I could come along with you ;)

Really great stuff!

With the set over the back of my fence, the most i see is the evidence, like digging up the lawn! Think the cat might have ventured into one of the tunnels as he was filthy the other day - i hope he stays out of them!

Heidi,

Any chance you could post some info on your settings? I know auto ISO has its uses, but personally I prefer to stay away and control things myself, and I'd be interested to see if theres some extra help i could offer you to squeeze out the last bit of IQ in the tech department, and then onto some simple PP to help you even further.

Mike

Very nice series.Love 1 & 3. Per Mike, woudl be good to see the details!
TFS

Sorry for the late reply, holiday and work getting in the way lately....

Settings for No 1
Canon EOS 60D
f/5.6
1/40 sec
ISO - 1600
Focal Length 247mm

No 2
f/5.6
1/13sec
ISO - 1600
Focal Length 247mm

No 3
f/6.3
1/60 sec
ISO - 1600
Focal length 340 mm

I can no longer photograph them as the wood they are in has now gone really dark with the leaves on the tree's and all the foliage growing. I shall be watching with my trailcams still though.

Last edited:
How beautiful Heidi,
A rare sight other than roadside, very envious of you, enjoyed the thread and comments from you better photographers, tips really help those of us new to this game
Thanks all

great shots i have never seen a living badger only dead ones at the side of the road
your very lucky to see them
Same - never seen a live badger :(

Heidi, you are lucky, between these and your little owls I am very jealous of your local wildlife!
Fantastic (y)

Back