Critique More Bread Making Endeavours

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Encouraged by my bread making efforts last week I had another go over the rainy weekend.

My Daughter was bought this Cook book for Christmas which contained this bread recipe.

Spicy Carrot Bread

Takes 18 hours for rising plus 2hr for proving then 50 mins cooking !!! You bake it in a pan too.

It didn't mention kneading the dough ! Not sure that’s correct and they just don't mention it as they assume you know to do that ? Anyhow I followed it word for word " didn't knead it" and the results are attached.

Made with Spelt flour and contains.

Carrot, Fennel & Caraway seeds. Should also have Aniseed in it but the shop didn’t have any at the time.

Crit & feedback on the photography is welcomed and much needed.

Crit & feedback on the baking is welcomed too as there seems to be quite a few on the forum whom bake bread.

Gaz

lX9Us9h.jpg

YSAqO3e.jpg

KnikCKU.jpg

Last edited:
looks nice bit of hot butter on it

“No kneading” is a method and usually involves a long fermentation which is said to develop the gluten as kneading does (not sure that’s true though) and can produce excellent loaf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-knead_bread
There are plenty of videos on the web. Many using a “Dutch oven” technique, and I can vouch for that.

Last edited:
My wife uses a bread making machine , may be worth investing in one
Yes, I use a bread machine for kneading the dough these days but I don’t like the finished product baked in the machine — traditionalist ;)

"Er Indoors " who must be obeyed uses a Panasonic SD-2500 model. the bread is amazing, especially the fruit bread loaf, but it doesn't last long

"Er Indoors " who must be obeyed uses a Panasonic SD-2500 model. the bread is amazing, especially the fruit bread loaf, but it doesn't last long

Panasonic’s (which I have too) have long been the best.

looks nice bit of hot butter on it
Hi John. It was thanks for stopping by and leaving some feedback.
“No kneading” is a method and usually involves a long fermentation which is said to develop the gluten as kneading does (not sure that’s true though) and can produce excellent loaf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-knead_bread
There are plenty of videos on the web. Many using a “Dutch oven” technique, and I can vouch for that.
Thanks for the link and info Richard.
My wife uses a bread making machine , may be worth investing in one
Thanks Bazza. Your quite right the bread machine produces great bread my friend as one too. Great results everytime.

I know it may sound like a faff to do it all by hand but that's the attraction for me. I've been a Plasterer all my working life so i'm very much used to the sense of achievement and satisfaction of working with my hands.

It's a challenge and something new to learn I also like the anticipation of never quite knowing whether it's going to turn out ok. I'm also enjoying learning how to take photos of the results.

My better half is a bread making machine :) - whilst the machine was entirely dependable, the bread coming out of the oven is a joy to behold.

Recommended viewing - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTVR5DSxWPpAVI8TzaaXRqQ
Thanks Jason.
That link is great. I have watched his simple bread video. Pretty similiar to the first loaf I made following Jamie O's recipe.
I will give that a try next. Early days yet i'm sure i'll make a complete mess up soon.

Gaz

Last edited:
You’re a natural fit for this if you like proper crusty bread ;) and the no knead method with a sloppy dough must be akin to mixing plaster. Another thing to master is making the cuts in the crust, an art in itself, though that doesn’t work with no-knead.

Another thing to master is making the cuts in the crust, an art in itself, though that doesn’t work with no-knead.
They do look great with those cuts in the top don't they.
Sounds like you have plenty of experiance Richard ! I appreciate you passing on your knowledge.

Gaz

They do look great with those cuts in the top don't they.
Sounds like you have plenty of experiance Richard ! I appreciate you passing on your knowledge.

Gaz
Haha! I baked my first loaf when I was still at school because there was a bread strike — probably around 1953 — and been doing it on and off ever since, but I would really prefer just to buy real bread which you often can now if you’re in the right place.

Another thing to master is making the cuts in the crust, an art in itself, though that doesn’t work with no-knead.
Aye, just wait until you start looking for a grignette - a wildly overpriced DE razor blade holder (you'll need a straight one and a curved one apparently) - I bought ours on a work trip to France - then had to jettison the blades. Luckily I shave like it's 1959 so domestic availability of blades isn't an issue.

Back