Beginner More BTCC from Croft

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Been a month or so since I've been online never mind post but I've been a bit absent and then went to Italy (photos from that trip to follow).

But last weekend I went to Croft for the first time ever and must say think its a pretty decent spot so will be going back. I was pretty much practicing my panning and faster shutter speeds this time round so as always constructive feedback welcome!

After looking at the other two threads I am very much jealous as there is some cracking shots but it gives me a target to aim for.

These are some of my favorites (a few more are on Flickr 18 total should you want to see them click here >> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnXa9dH)

IMG_2365 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_2342 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_2412 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_2191 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_2528 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

All are unedited as I don't have the capability or knowledge yet.

Regards Tom.

All are unedited as I don't have the capability or knowledge yet.

I did just try and download a couple of images from your Flickr to do a quick edit but it won't let me. Editing is the other piece of the puzzle for great images. With these, they are good panning shots but you were shooting into the sun, so the cars are backlit and your contrast has suffered. Always be aware of where your light is coming from and try and avoid shooting into the sun (unless that's the effect you're going for).

A quick increase in contrast, boost the shadows and lower the highlights is all these need. Shooting RAW in this situation helps too as you have much more leeway with your final edit.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, not sure why you cant access them @RichardC27 maybe its a setting on flickr I will look into that.

Question now that I have seen others, how do I get the car or even the photo its self to have more "colour" like number 2 in your thread @mark4183 or number 1 in @vulcan2912 thread???

It's a setting on Flickr to stop people downloading them. Processing is a crucial part of getting your images to look the way you want. So getting the car to have more colour will be a combination of adjustments to exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, vibrance, saturation, maybe the tone curve etc etc etc. With software like Lightroom you can make your images look any way you like and start to develop your own style.

EDIT: Just to further illustrate the importance of processing, image 1 is the unedited RAW file captured by my camera. Image two is the final photo edited in Lightroom.

Last edited:
@RichardC27 That is a difference, how long would something like that take to do ? I would assume you would need quite a skill to know what to change?

On a side note I have changed my preferences on flickr, thank you for that.

@RichardC27 That is a difference, how long would something like that take to do ? I would assume you would need quite a skill to know what to change?

On a side note I have changed my preferences on flickr, thank you for that.

Well this edit I have set up as an import preset in Lightroom so it didn't take any time at all, and I didn't feel it needed any further tweaking once the preset had been applied. But if I'd edited like this from scratch it would only take a few minutes of adjusting the various sliders to get the image looking like that.

It takes a lot of practice and at the end of the day it's about personal preference and how you want the image to look. If you get Lightroom then there are loads of tutorials on YouTube, and websites like Fstoppers and PetaPixel usually have lots of guides on processing techniques. My presets are based off some free sports presets I downloaded ages ago but I've modified them a lot since then as I've got more into the processing side of things.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Now that I know that can be done I may look at taking less and know that I can final fix later as I think I took well over 300 maybe 400 photos on Sunday and ended up with circa 20.

Really appreciate the explanation @RichardC27.

Hi Tom. Firstly, you've clearly mastered the panning technique - these are all really sharp with a good sense of motion.

If you want to learn about post processing, I can heartily recommend Antony Morganti's tutorials on Youtube - what he doesn't know about Lightroom and Photoshop isn't worth knowing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnthonyMorganti

Back