More butterflies

#1 and #3 (too bad for the broken wing!)… are delicious.
I think there could be "more" tonally in them!

All very nice Emma , but the first is superb!
Thanks so much Neil :)

#1 and #3 (too bad for the broken wing!)… are delicious.
I think there could be "more" tonally in them!
Thanks Kodiak - the blacks could be pulled down a little more but I pushed them back a bit as I preferred the effect in these shots. I could certainly have done more work on the flower though, I'm sure.

I love them, so peacefully looking! Well done!
Thanks Plamen - that's much appreciated!

Thanks Kodiak - the blacks could be pulled down a little more but I pushed them back a bit as I preferred the effect in these shots. I could certainly have done more work on the flower though, I'm sure.

I very much like #1, with its beautiful, soft light and colours. For my taste, bringing down the blacks wouldn't improve it.

The colours in #2 already have more "body" than the colours in #1. Personally I wouldn't want to deepen them any more. Maybe pull the highlights down though. Even pulling them down as far as Lightroom lets you would only affect the bright wing I think. I rather like the slightly "busy" background in #2, which I think you have cropped very nicely.

#3 makes me want to pull the highlights down a little on the flower and pull the black down on the wings (but not in the background). That said, I didn't get a result I liked when I tried that (using local adjustments of course).

All in all Emma, I think that is a very appealing set of images.

No 1 A Common blue maybe is very nice Emma, comp is spot on too, maybe bring up the whites and lower the blacks a little, see where that takes you.
No 2 is how I feel after this long summer (South of France) is where I live Too hot and too long.
No 3, A lovely Green veined white, light is good as with comp.
Well done again Emma.

It's one of the things I do to bring out the darks/blacks a bit more.

To my eye raising the whites (in combination with lowering the blacks) had a much more pleasing affect than simply pulling down the blacks, which is what I had tried. I had also tried moving the grey point and/or (can't remember) pulling up the black point in Levels, but I didn't like that either.

@GardenersHelper and @Graham - thanks so much for your input again - as I remember the whites were pulled up as far as they would go without blowing the white on the wings, and I didn't take the blacks as far down as I could (I quite liked the more 'dreamy' effect), but I'll definitely have another look and a play tomorrow if I have time (y)

@GardenersHelper and @Graham - thanks so much for your input again - as I remember the whites were pulled up as far as they would go without blowing the white on the wings, and I didn't take the blacks as far down as I could (I quite liked the more 'dreamy' effect), but I'll definitely have another look and a play tomorrow if I have time (y)

Ah. I've just checked what I did (Whites +17, Blacks -24). The top end is clipping on the wings. However, there are lots of tiny clipped areas, which to my eye doesn't notice. I also see that the eye is completely clipped to black. At the posted size at least, I'm not convinced that matters either (because I don't think there would be any detail distinguishable in the eye anyway, at that size).

But as we often remind ourselves, there is a lot of personal taste in all this.

Ah. I've just checked what I did (Whites +17, Blacks -24). The top end is clipping on the wings. However, there are lots of tiny clipped areas, which to my eye doesn't notice. I also see that the eye is completely clipped to black. At the posted size at least, I'm not convinced that matters either (because I don't think there would be any detail distinguishable in the eye anyway, at that size).

But as we often remind ourselves, there is a lot of personal taste in all this.
Those changes do bring out the butterfly a bit more from the background without creating too harsh an effect - I'll try not to be so reliant on the clipping warnings! This is only on the jpeg at the moment as I cloned out the tip of the grass which was touching the top in another program and stupidly exported to jpeg - I may redo it properly another time.

another blue small.jpg

Back