More from the WEC

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Much much happier with my results this time out, so no bitching...
I'm still going through images so I'll add a bunch more later today.

In the mean time here's a shot that I think may be the most technically difficult I have ever attempted. Shout to James Gasperotti who was the inspiration for this with his epic Toyota image!

Shot through the scaffolding structure of the main grandstand and two layers of catch fencing... hopefully you'll agree that its something different for me.

1. Life's a blur
The Spirit of Le Mans by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Ok here's a few more... I spent the Sunday restricting my self to the 70-200 to get a bit more variation. all C&C most welcome, I'm trying to be a bit less of a one trick pony

2. The Rain Train
Christoffer NYGAARD, Marco SØRENSEN, Nicki THIIM by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

3. Audi Back On Top
Marcel FÄSSLER, André LOTTERER, Benoît TRÉLUYER by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

4. I guess this guy uses Michelin
GOETHE / BROWN / HAMILTON by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

5. Not quite as good as last year
Anthony DAVIDSON, Sébastien BUEMI, Kazuki NAKAJIMA by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

6. Webber couldn't convert pole
Timo BERNHARD, Mark WEBBER, Brendon HARTLEY by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

7. Changeable Conditions
Roman RUSINOV, Julien CANAL, Sam BIRD by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

8. Marmite
Davide RIGON, James CALADO by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Last edited:
9. More Marmite!
Darren TURNER, Stefan MÜCKE by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

10. Aston Heavy
Christoffer NYGAARD, Marco SØRENSEN, Nicki THIIM by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

11. I just want to fit in with everyone else ;)
Gianmaria BRUNI, Toni VILANDER by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

12. Gotta have a z4, love this livery
PRIAULX / HASSID / KROHN by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

13. Another Aston
Alex MACDOWALL, Fernando REES, Richie STANAWAY by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Thanks for looking folks... I might add a couple more a bit later

Oh go on then... even more Aston Martin!

14. NNNNNNNNEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWW (No Photoshop!)
Flying Aston Martin by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent shot !! Especially considering what was in your foreground; What was your SS??

Was there yesterday but haven't gone through any of my images yet....

Last edited:
Excellent shot !! Especially considering what was in your foreground; What was your SS??

Was there yesterday but haven't gone through any of my images yet....

Thanks mate, it was a real mission to get it right... manual focus, 1/40, ISO 50, f/14 - all exif should be present on flickr :)

Thats more like you ;-)
Love that buddy.

Thanks Glen... Interested to hear what you think of the rest :D I felt much better

I must say that this set of images are truly wonderful and pleasant to look at. I was there on Saturday and Sunday and apart from being blown from pillar to post with at times strong winds, not to mention the rain Saturday morning I had a good time. However, my pictures that I have uploaded to flickr, I won't post as I personally think they are not good enough. I'm getting worse, I am sure.

Anyway I digress, great images and my favourites are #2 then #1.

Btw, I wonder how many photos you took to get the perfect #1 shot through the chicken wire?

Last edited:
I think i do like number 5 more than number 1, maybe the Toyota looks better in pictures compared to other cars or maybe I just like its color scheme more...

A good set overall except for a few to angled for my liking (#8 particularly) but good to see you trying something new. :)

Some superb efforts there Jonathan, 1,5 &13 stand out for me, I like the rain shots too but was glad not to be there for that after putting up with that wind yesterday. I tried to emulate some of the stuff that you and George posted last year but couldn't get anywhere near it, I'll need to practice some more, so I'll follow Darren's route and probably just keep mine on Flickr ;)

#6 for me (y) always think the Porsche converts well to B/W,and #1 (y) looks awesome on flickr.
Clive.

Awesome, can't pick a favourite Astons or the B&W porsche with the heat haze behind :D

Nice work jonny, first one is a sure fire winner.

Thanks Neil :)

I must say that this set of images are truly wonderful and pleasant to look at. I was there on Saturday and Sunday and apart from being blown from pillar to post with at times strong winds, not to mention the rain Saturday morning I had a good time. However, my pictures that I have uploaded to flickr, I won't post as I personally think they are not good enough. I'm getting worse, I am sure.

Anyway I digress, great images and my favourites are #2 then #1.

Btw, I wonder how many photos you took to get the perfect #1 shot through the chicken wire?

Really appreciate that thanks, both 1 and 14 took about an hour and a half of constant actuations to get close

I think i do like number 5 more than number 1, maybe the Toyota looks better in pictures compared to other cars or maybe I just like its color scheme more...

A good set overall except for a few to angled for my liking (#8 particularly) but good to see you trying something new. :)

Thanks James, I think you are becoming my benchmark for creativity :D I still like a wonky photo though ;)

Some superb efforts there Jonathan, 1,5 &13 stand out for me, I like the rain shots too but was glad not to be there for that after putting up with that wind yesterday. I tried to emulate some of the stuff that you and George posted last year but couldn't get anywhere near it, I'll need to practice some more, so I'll follow Darren's route and probably just keep mine on Flickr ;)

Rain wasnt too bad and only lasted 20 mins or so first thing Saturday... the wind however was a pain. Just practice, looks like everyone is upping their game this year :)

Was also there yesterday and think I might have seen you taking the first shot as saw someone trying to shoot from the position you describe. Thought it was a crazy idea but having seen the image, hats off to you.

Lol I got a lot of funny looks I was there so long, Someone came and spoke to me and said 'no matter how many you take youll never be satisfied' well I got 2 from an hour and a half and I'm happy lol I was rocking a tech 3 Yamaha jacket, looking at flickr there was a few of us nutters giving it a go :D

#6 for me (y) always think the Porsche converts well to B/W,and #1 (y) looks awesome on flickr.
Clive.
Thanks, good to see a wider appeal. I still think its interesting how peoples taste differ :)

Awesome, can't pick a favourite Astons or the B&W porsche with the heat haze behind :D
Cheers Baz, glad you like them and #1 was worth the silly effort :D

1 is lovely. Like the duo of Astons in number 2, too! Great set as a whole :)

Glad you had a better day mate caught a bit of the live action on TV noticed there was some cloud and thought you be a happier man great set lots of varied angles another vote for 1 liking the Rain Train like 11 with the BRDC backdrop and do like that last Aston shot

Thanks Neil :)

Really appreciate that thanks, both 1 and 14 took about an hour and a half of constant actuations to get close

Thanks James, I think you are becoming my benchmark for creativity :D I still like a wonky photo though ;)

Rain wasnt too bad and only lasted 20 mins or so first thing Saturday... the wind however was a pain. Just practice, looks like everyone is upping their game this year :)

Lol I got a lot of funny looks I was there so long, Someone came and spoke to me and said 'no matter how many you take youll never be satisfied' well I got 2 from an hour and a half and I'm happy lol I was rocking a tech 3 Yamaha jacket, looking at flickr there was a few of us nutters giving it a go :D

Thanks, good to see a wider appeal. I still think its interesting how peoples taste differ :)

Cheers Baz, glad you like them and #1 was worth the silly effort :D

If a shot is easy whats the point ha ha top marks for extra effort :)

1 is lovely. Like the duo of Astons in number 2, too! Great set as a whole :)

Thanks Ash, appreciate it :)

Glad you had a better day mate caught a bit of the live action on TV noticed there was some cloud and thought you be a happier man great set lots of varied angles another vote for 1 liking the Rain Train like 11 with the BRDC backdrop and do like that last Aston shot

I was a grumpy SOB wasn't I :( felt much better but in the end it was just down to the light... I think im starting to understand this photography lark :-\

If a shot is easy whats the point ha ha top marks for extra effort :)
Cheers Baz... yeah hopefully muscle memory will take over in future

All good, but 5 + 14 are the winners here I reckon.

Thanks a lot, #14 is becoming my personal fav.. despite the success with #1

Was quite happy with my shots but now i have looked at the threads on here and feel depressed lol.

Looking how low down most of them are i assume you was the right side of the fence?

Hahaha thanks but always post, the feedback I've received here (specifically the Motorsport section) is invaluable and helped me develop no end since I started... I joined looking for advice on what bridge camera to buy in 2009 :D

All shot speccy side :) I'm still learning

Wow really, where were you shooting? I took some down round near the end of the lap but didnt venture up to the support pit area.

Depends which shots you mean but I was at luffield, brooklands, village, becketts, vale, the main straight, Wellington straight and a spell on the inside of copse... Just shoot through the fence, it's only a couple of feet and a grey tinge away from the pros view most of the time

I shot a few through the fence but they require so much work to get the cris cross blur out of them totally. Think I need to get myself a x1.4 as 300mm isnt cutting it lol.

The fact you can get a crystal clear shots panning at 1/30 blows my mind lol, best I can get down to is about 1/125.

The trick is to get as close as possible, use as wide an aperture as possible, maximum focal length and avoid sections where the sun is shinning directly on it.

Keep in mind you are only seeing my successful attempts, a lot went in the bin :)

The trick with those 1/30th shots is the panning. It's pin sharp and so much better than I was getting. But that long shutter speed means you pan past so much of the fence while the shutter is open that you cover over a whole Criss-Cross pattern, hence it doesn't show up.

If there is a PP trick to removing the faint fence pattern, I'd love to know as it would rescue hundreds of my shots.

I've just found that I've got weekend tickets for the GP this year so I shall be spending Friday trying to replicate Jonathan's #1 & #5 here.

Were you behind the grandstand or in front for those? I'm presuming that's opposite the Wing at the pit exit end of the start finish straight too?

The trick with those 1/30th shots is the panning. It's pin sharp and so much better than I was getting. But that long shutter speed means you pan past so much of the fence while the shutter is open that you cover over a whole Criss-Cross pattern, hence it doesn't show up.

If there is a PP trick to removing the faint fence pattern, I'd love to know as it would rescue hundreds of my shots.

I've just found that I've got weekend tickets for the GP this year so I shall be spending Friday trying to replicate Jonathan's #1 & #5 here.

Were you behind the grandstand or in front for those? I'm presuming that's opposite the Wing at the pit exit end of the start finish straight too?

Behind the the grandstand opposite the wing :) be aware the GP will be rammed and you might get shoved around a bit on the international straight.... But there are plenty more obstructions around the circuit you can use hahaha

My tips were aimed at faster shutter work through the fence.... While the criss cross is removed using a slower shutter speed it's easier if you can zoom in further, so long as the car is far enough away from the fence. This does depend on whether you want a wide or telephoto image though... Wide work, super slow is the only way to go or get very confident with image manipulation.

Or of course use the pattern on purpose :)

Back