More GCG

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
After the heads up from Derek, I popped down to my local pond and grabbed a few shots. They weren't too close so these are heavy crops, and all the real action of the dance and present giving was in the middle of some reeds so no photo ops but great to watch, here's a few I did manage.

8Q2A1365_0007_15-04-24_Great Crested Grebe_15-04-24 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Q2A1366_0008_15-04-24_Great Crested Grebe_15-04-24 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Q2A1286_Great Crested Grebe_15-04-24 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

7D mkII with a Tamron 150-600

Thanks for looking
C & C Welcome

Last edited:
Look good to me Trev,love the last one.

Nicely produced images, showing the grace of the birds ... pity you missed the full courting display :)

Thanks Rich and Gramps, I do appreciate your comments. These are with a new camera and lens and after a dry spell for me, so am trying to get my eye in again. I wish we could have got some shots of the courting display, it was wonderful to see it live, but not possible to get a clear shot, it still seemed a privilege to be able to watch (y)

Hi Trev

Wanting to do some bird photography and just asking what lens was you using? Need to get out and spend some time experimenting.

Great shots nice to have a few mates who can give you the heads up of where the action is happening

Hi Graham

These were taken with a Tamron 150-600 and on a 7D mkII. Its a new combination to me after I sold my 500mm f/4L due to its weight, so I am still learning the finer points of the combination. So far, I am finding that its a lens that is giving good results, and for the cost it is excellent, I am certainly happy with it. Its never going to be up to the IQ of a fast prime, but at around 20% of the price, something has to give, it is a very close compromise though. I would think that it would work well on your 1D mkIV. Your 100-400 is a good wildlife lens and one I have used for about 5 years, but I am now preferring the extra reach of the Tamron, and with the range of the 150-400 being as good as the similar range on the Canon 100-400 its becoming my favoured lens especially for birding. Hope this helps (y)

Hi Trev

No.1 for me tells a story. Would prefer a closer crop but that is just me. All are beautiful though.

OOI, I have just sold my Tammy 150-600 in Nikon fit and it too gave great results, was most impressed with this lens.

I will probably give the Sigma 150-600C a go next in Canon fitment.

Will be interesting to see how these two lenses compare ?

Hi Trev

No.1 for me tells a story. Would prefer a closer crop but that is just me. All are beautiful though.

OOI, I have just sold my Tammy 150-600 in Nikon fit and it too gave great results, was most impressed with this lens.

I will probably give the Sigma 150-600C a go next in Canon fitment.

Will be interesting to see how these two lenses compare ?

Thanks Garry. I could possibly crop a little closer, but these are already massive crops, and there is a big danger of losing too much detail and IQ. I will take a look and see if it will stand it though.

As you will have gathered, I am also impressed with the Tamron lens, for the price its quite surprising. For me it was the lighter weight that was as important as the IQ. The only downside I have found is that your long lens technique is far more critical than I found it was with the Canon 500mm f/4, probably due to the Canon being a heavier lens.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Sigma and how it compares, having said that, it would have to be a big improvement to encourage me to change from the Tamron at the moment.

Better than some of the plumb I've seen of these on here recently ole timer. By the time you get your aged butt up here next year you'll know that set up inside out and be producing excellent shots I'm sure;)

They are lovely graceful birds and certainly are a pleasure to watch, a lovely set Trev.

Hi Trev

Early users reckon the Sigma 150-600C is a touch sharper than the Tamron equivalent. Doubt it is worth the change from your POV but I fancy just giving the Sigma lens a road test.

Yep, all three are well taken and interesting

always difficult subjects to get "right"

Better than some of the plumb I've seen of these on here recently ole timer. By the time you get your aged butt up here next year you'll know that set up inside out and be producing excellent shots I'm sure;)
Praise indeed, cheers (y) Am looking forward to making the trip up there especially after having to cancel twice, third time lucky they say. Keep the kettle boiling mate :)

They are lovely graceful birds and certainly are a pleasure to watch, a lovely set Trev.
A pleasure to see indeed, thanks (y)
Hi Trev

Early users reckon the Sigma 150-600C is a touch sharper than the Tamron equivalent. Doubt it is worth the change from your POV but I fancy just giving the Sigma lens a road test.
Thanks, be interesting to hear what you think (y)
Yep, all three are well taken and interesting

always difficult subjects to get "right"
Thank you Bill (y)

Back