Critique More Grapes

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from the last image I took.

I'm a Plasterer and whilst plastering a Kitchen the other day my customer brought in some old curtains to cover up the cooker hob.
As soon as I seen the colour I had the urge to try and take another photo similiar to the last one.
I liked the first image but the light was so low "8pm" so a 25 second exsposure was required and I sort of thought something was missing.
Anyhow yesterday I tried again and came up with this image below.

Wether it is any better I'm not sure.It is different though and I enjoyed taking it.

Any crit feedback is welcomed.

Gaz

Goblet_Grapes.jpg

Good evolution from the last one, strong "old-master" feel to it IMHO. @The Big Yin is the man for still life...

Close Chris, and thanks for the vote of confidence, though I've not been shooting much recently...

Gary,

I saw this shot come up, along with the previous one, but I hadn't had chance to reply until now...

first off, may I say I really like the photography aspect of this shot - by which I mean your choice of background, the "main prop" - the chalice is a wonderful peice - just enough reflectivity to pick up the other props, just little enough that it doesn't flare all over the place. The lightings good as well, well controlled and diffuse, but still strong enough to have some directionality and create some depth and shadow modelling. I particularly like the "streak" of verdegris on the chalice, leading the eye up/down between the two bunches of grapes.

Composition wise, the only thing I'm not 100% sure of, is being able to see a small section of the curve of the table on the bottom left hand side of frame in the "notch" of a fold in the fabric...

I guess I'd better get to what's slightly troubling me...

With ANY still life image, for me at least, for it to work, everything "on the table" or in the shot needs to have a purpose for being there. Otherwise it's just a random collection of pretty things that might make a good picture, and nothing more. Whereas a "still life" to me, is just that - a "still frame" from a story that tells the story on its own. Everything should have a purpose... why is the cloth on the table, why are the grapes in the chalice rather than on a platter or a fruitbowl. When Composing the shot, don't start with "what have I got to photograph, and how should I arrange it", start with "ok, I want the image to 'say' this, so how can I put that into images...."

The other thing that gives me a certain pause, is that, again, for me, depictions with chalices and grapes are pretty heavily tied into religious sacramental imagery... a large part of my brain was yelling "use the old curtain as a drape in the background maybe, but fill the space it left with a large rustic loaf that's been torn into - make it a full-on seasonal harvest festival kind of image".

But, as I said initially, I really do like the treatment of your shot, and I'd love to see more of this kind of thing on the forum - where the effort isn't just in taking a picture of something that exists already, but in MAKING a picture from nothing, bringing something to life that only existed in your head before now...

for making that effort, Chapeau sir :)

Good evolution from the last one, strong "old-master" feel to it IMHO. @The Big Yin is the man for still life...
Cheers Chris.

@TheBigYin
Hiya Mark.

WOW ! Really appreciate your generous feedback which is what I was hoping for.

Great that the photography part of the process is looking ok. Really liked the chalice when I seen it and for £3 you just couldn't pass it by. I'm happy I chose to turn it so the verdigris was on show, it was not my intension to link the props, just to create a diagonal, plus I liked the colour. Like your thoughts on it though.

First time I actually took a photo and used it as a texture for the background,so that's good that it looks well. The background is a piece of laminate floor underlay it's like a big black foam core board. The texture was a photo of an old York stone paving slab. I usually use a downloaded free texture but I wanted to create all the image.

I like the idea of using things that are found or are very cheap.

As for the actual elements in the photo I do agree for the most part.
I was trying to make connections with the grapes chalice and maybe thinking that the mind eye would automatically think of wine.
This falls down with the fabric as I went for pretty texture, colour and form.
So a bit of a mix really.

I like still life images that do mean something but also like images of random objects, that have been chosen so well that they just work together for what ever reason that maybe.
So I guess I like pretty too :)

Your feedback is great and is gonna make me think even more for the next play with this.

Gaz

I like still life images that do mean something but also like images of random objects, that have been chosen so well that they just work together for what ever reason that maybe.
So I guess I like pretty too :)

well - to some people, shots like this one of mine will probably seem to have a few "randoms" on there...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_big_yin/16101559584

but, if you dig into the symbolism and "language of objects" of the era that I was working to, everything has a reason to be there... as I waffled on about in the thread when I originally posted it on here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/ontbijtje.581017/

(actually, a brass version of the claret jug in my last shot would go great with the chalice... as i've got the pewter charger and jug, I'd better try and find a pewter chalice...)

as i've got the pewter charger and jug, I'd better try and find a pewter chalice.

I had seen and read about Vanitas images and there meanings and like you say I would have just thought they were a collection of random objects otherwise.
Looking at your link above it seems I loved your photo back then as I commented. I must be attracted to still life images but until now have not done much of it.

It is far harder than it appears even if your only making images of random objects.

Yes. Defiantly find a pewter chalice and make some images again. That is if you haven't been doing so recently. Upload some too so I can see and learn from you :)

Gaz

Back