More Help Needed! New D80 or Used D200?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
As title really - More confusion over my proposed upgrade from D50 to D80 (although there's no guarantee as to when the D80 will land with the dealers) I know of a D200 up for grabs & apart from the SD v CF card issue I think I'd be right in assuming the D200 is a much more capable camera for a couple of hundred beans more than the new D80?
Your expertise & advice would be much appreciated as a matter of urgency :bonk:
Paul (y)

I don't know much about the D80 Paul (or the D50 for that matter) but I recently bought a used D200 after using a D70 and the difference is like chalk and cheese. The camera feels more grown up and certainly more robust than the D70, I briefly handled a D50 a couple of days ago and it felt tiny by comparison, although I have the battery grip fitted.

Nikon are not particularly good at supplying new products and who knows when the D80 will be in regular supply, if it was me I'd go for the D200. CF cards are quite plentiful and you won't need more than 100x speed for the D200, a 2gb Kingston is about £50.

Thanks guys - worry not I am seriously considering it! - What would you say is a reasonable price for a pristine 2nd hand D200 then? Ebay is fully of HK & other Import types not much used at all which doesn't help - the best new body only price I can find is £999 btw ... Paul ;)

I'd pay around £800 for a 2nd hand D200 at a rough guess. It depends on condition, and what else is being thrown in. I think supply is still really short on these things.
The box! The price is a little bit more but its mint & I got offered a spare battery & the Thom Hogan E-book thrown in ... Paul ;)

Brand new D200 for £759 + £69 postage: here

Have bought from these guys no problems.

Brains - Yes the price from HK is unbeatable & I've bought a few lenses myself - but with a camera the Warranty is next to useless as you would have to send the camera back to HK if there were any issues (that is because Nikon in the UK will only act under warranty if you have proof of purchase & VAT receipts for the import - if you stump up for VAT you will lose most of your "saving")
Paul (y)

does anyone now if the D200 has an multi exsposer? like the D2x?

Yep, sure does. And it works out the exposure for you based on the number of 'exposes' .... ;)

I am now the (VERY) proud owner of an absolute MINT D200 :clap:
Around 6k clicks as the camera was a backup to a D2x! Bought in the UK and treated better than I treat my golf shoes! (my wifes says if there's any truth in reincarnation she wants to come back as a pair of my golf shoes :LOL:)
Only time will tell if I am good enough for the D200 but it sure is good enough for me!
Thanks for the advice (as usual) - I'm wiped out (financially) now & I've still got to stump up for some CF cards as my 96mb one only holds 5 images :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Cheers ... Paul (y)

I am now the (VERY) proud owner of an absolute MINT D200 :clap:
Around 6k clicks as the camera was a backup to a D2x! Bought in the UK and treated better than I treat my golf shoes! (my wifes says if there's any truth in reincarnation she wants to come back as a pair of my golf shoes :LOL:)
Only time will tell if I am good enough for the D200 but it sure is good enough for me!
Thanks for the advice (as usual) - I'm wiped out (financially) now & I've still got to stump up for some CF cards as my 96mb one only holds 5 images :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Cheers ... Paul (y)

well done (y)

chuckles said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally

does anyone now if the D200 has an multi exsposer? like the D2x?

Yep, sure does. And it works out the exposure for you based on the number of 'exposes' ....

I hate you ;)
Have you used it yet?

Good choice, obviously as a Canon owner Im totally green on the Nikon gear, but even I cant ignore the reviews that the D200 has been getting - congratulations (y)

well done (y)

I hate you ;)
Have you used it yet?

Ally the feeling is entirely mutual ;)

No I haven't used it in anger as I need a CF card that'll hold more than 5 or 6 pics :LOL: - should get one ordered today for next day delivery - just playing around with the D200 is a joy though easy to adjust & the big LCD & brighter viewfinder make it feel like a massive step up from the D50
Paul

Ally the feeling is entirely mutual ;)

No I haven't used it in anger as I need a CF card that'll hold more than 5 or 6 pics :LOL: - should get one ordered today for next day delivery - just playing around with the D200 is a joy though easy to adjust & the big LCD & brighter viewfinder make it feel like a massive step up from the D50
Paul

I had the same thing when I got my 20D, I had no CF cards. I just loved the feel of holding it and knowing it was really mine! was better with the CF cards :)

Back