More Kelpies after sunset

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
No
Had a day out yesterday and happened to be passing the Kelpies on our return just before sunset. Spent a bit of time as the light changed and got these shots.

Just before the sun disappeared.

Kelpies by barrysprout, on Flickr

As the lights come on

Change of position for some reflections.

Light change and up to almost 30sec exposures and freezing.

Nice set. Love the photographer taking a photo of the inside of the Kelpies in the first one. Those overhead wires are a distraction but not a lot can be done about them.

I'm taken with one, I light the rich sun light reflected on the metal. I would compose this and the 2nd differently by angling differently and cutting the bottom off the grass and base of the horses. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-kelpies-in-the-blue-hour.603874/ as my set. It removes the messy bottom and the pylons...

re 2, just needs to be a darker sky so the lighting stands out more.

3 and 4, excellent.

I greatly prefer the 3rd and 4th ones with the darker sky as they give real prominence to the lighting inside the heads.. I've only been once during daylight, but these really make me want to get back there in the evening. I see from Flickr that the last one needed the full width of the 10-24, so I'll not manage that composition!

Last edited:
I greatly prefer the 3rd and 4th ones with the darker sky as they give real prominence to the lighting inside the heads.. I've only been once during daylight, but these really make me want to get back there in the evening. I see from Flickr that the last one needed the full width of the 10-24, so I'll not manage that composition!

I shoot FF and nearly took this shot on 16mm on the D800 but the other togs and random selfy stick light trails made it an instant delete. I will go back in a summer evening later when its quieter

Nice set. Love the photographer taking a photo of the inside of the Kelpies in the first one. Those overhead wires are a distraction but not a lot can be done about them.

Thanks, the wires are easily cloned out which I've done on previous occasions, they do become a lot less obvious as the light falls.

I'm taken with one, I light the rich sun light reflected on the metal. I would compose this and the 2nd differently by angling differently and cutting the bottom off the grass and base of the horses. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-kelpies-in-the-blue-hour.603874/ as my set. It removes the messy bottom and the pylons...

re 2, just needs to be a darker sky so the lighting stands out more.

3 and 4, excellent.

Thanks Steve, as you know the choices for composition are somewhat constrained by various pylons and flags. The first two shots were where I initially set up and I knew that as the light fell the distractions would become less obvious. I intended to stay at that spot until the sky had darkened a bit more, but more and more people were turning up at that point and I wanted to make sure I could get over for the reflections in 3&4.

Number two was immediately after the lights were switched on and way before they really start to stand out.
This is the last shot I took from this position when the sky darkened a bit and the distractions started to become less obvious.

XT1B0979.jpg

4 is fabuloso Colin.

Cheers (y)

Although it was shot at 10mm, I was using the X-T1 in portrait mode and using the 1:1 for framing, Here is the full shot from the raw file. You can just make out the Eiffel Tower on the left :D

XT1B0995.jpg

3&4 for me, loads of impact, and great light.

Back