Critique More Lake Vyrnwy

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Going on from robmac's photo of the tower at Lake Vyrnwy, I took these two a few years ago.

vyrnwy3.jpg

and

vyrnwy4.jpg

What I'm really looking for is someone to point me towards why neither of these images are quite as "good" as Rob's image, and where I can concentrate my efforts on trying to improve. These are both taken handheld, I actually don't recall if there was a filter fitted or not, and if there was it would just have been a polariser. I'm struggling to put my finger on exactly what I don't think is quite a good, there's just something about the clarity and colour of the tower in Rob's photo that I don't get in mine.

I can't help but I find I have exactly the same struggle with so many of my landscape shots, I'm very interested to hear what others say.

It's all about the light, the first one isn't so bad though, it's got a lovely gentle feel to it.

Tripod and a release is a must really.filters are expensive and I don't really do much of this type of togging so I paid 11 quid for my 77mm 10 stop filter.think it was around 30 second exposure and then playing around with photoshop CC.
I like both images but the first is my favourite.must go back there with my 500mm....never considered it for landscapes tbh!

Thanks all, I'll have to pop over again when I have time. They're both on my Tamron 70-300 zoom, the second one was actually just a quick shot to be made into a panorama.

Back