Beginner More OCF .....

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Took some more pics using my YN622n and trying to copy the crop as @SirSR. Shaheed hope you don't mind.

Any crit or any improvements on the pic:

E5 by SEP9001, on Flickr

Thank you

Kev

I'm guessing you used just the one light? It's created some quite strong shadows, which a second fill flash or reflector would have helped to reduce (or maybe this was the look you wanted, if so ignore the comment).

As for the crop, you could lose some of the right hand side and bring it to a standard 6x4 crop IMO.

It's a nice shot, though he's squinting a bit and it's like you've caught the start or end of a smile.

Thank you for your comments. Yes it was one light, I do have a reflector but need to get a holder for it.

Just trying to learn OCF, flash placement and also trying to get the right exposure.

Will have a look at cropping as suggested.

Thanks

Kev

If you can get a light to give catch lights in the eyes that would help. Maybe it needs to be a little bit more to the front of the subject? That would reduce the shadows a little (but it's tricky as you may get shadows on the background if he's close to it). You could try using a teddy bear or something until you're happy with the light set up, people get bored quickly, this allow you time to experiment.

Your son (?) can always hold the reflector too when you're in this close.

I'm still learning OCF, I'm sure more experienced folk will be along shortly with better/correct advice!

Nice shot, but a bit too central. I would keep the aspectic ratio as it is, but crop most of the dead space on the right and add it to the left side of the pic. Easily done in ps.

Good stuff though :)

Last edited:
Thank you both for the help. Will have a play with cropping, don't have PS so may just crop the right and see.

I'm guessing you used just the one light? It's created some quite strong shadows, which a second fill flash or reflector would have helped to reduce (or maybe this was the look you wanted, if so ignore the comment).

As for the crop, you could lose some of the right hand side and bring it to a standard 6x4 crop IMO.

It's a nice shot, though he's squinting a bit and it's like you've caught the start or end of a smile.

:agree:

You've got all the technical stuff working which is a big step with OCF: triggering, framing, pose, focusing, exposure, blah.

The light is working but it is very hard - or more precisely, the shadows are (a) very deep and (b) hard edged. That's not a bad thing in itself but the shadows are falling where they cause distractions; the eye is drawn to high contrast regions.

So.. three things to try:
  1. To make the shadows less deep add some fill.
  2. To make them less hard edged you need a larger (softer) light source. If you don't have a brolly try bouncing the flash off something (like your reflector) or if your reflector is the 5-in-1 type then use the diffuser panel and shoot through it. You don't need a fancy stand: a chair back, a broom handle and some gaffer tape will do. This may remove the need for fill.
  3. Change the position of the light. Portraiture lighting ninjas get all excited about the shape of the shadow under the nose. I am not a lighting ninja, just an obsessively analytic amateur. In this case I would say the nose shadow is a bit big; trying bringing the light down a little and round to the front slightly.
For completeness sake I'm going to add:

4. Change the angle of the light. You don't need to hit your subject with the centre of the beam; the either edge of it can be much more interesting as the light falls off. I deeply admire the skill of old school portrait photographers who used only hard light sources to create beautifully evenly lit portraits, even if it's not a style I've much interest in recreating.​

Last edited:
Thank you for the pointers. I do have a softbox but was being lazy and he does not like me taking pics so had to be quick.

I will try and practice more OCF with a bear as suggested above.

Thanks

That second shot is great, you've caught a lovely smile and he looks genuinely really happy. Highlights on his face look a bit bright. I'm guessing the soft box was above and in front of him and quite close to his head? See @juggler's 4th point above about feathering the light. His arms look better exposed with no bright highlights because they have caught the edge of the light, whereas his face has caught it well...full in the face, if you see what I mean.

It's a great shot, being picky about the highlights really. All meant as constructive crit to help improve. Do you have PS? Might be able to bring down those highlights a touch.

Thank you. Yes the softbox was close to him.

I don't have PS but have LR and Pixelmator. Will have a play with LR and the brushes.

Happy with all crit bad or good as you say that is the only way I will learn and improve.

Thank you.

Hope you don't mind, but I've edited your shot to reduce the highlights a little on his face. Added a second layer in PS, adjusted levels and then used a mask to show only the areas that needed a little adjustment.

Edit - pic looked awful on my iPhone. Not sure why. Will try again!!

Last edited:
Thanks, no problems. I think it was the mask to show the bits that needed editing.

Thanks, will have a proper look when I am on the pc.

Back