(More Pics Added) L'Eroica Brittania (The most handsome bike race in the world)

Going to make it to Bakewell for 20th/21st June on the way back from holiday, so will look forward to catching this late on Saturday and through Sunday :)

Gramps, if you want to stay in Bakewell it is a great spectacle to see all the riders coming into the finish line in the exhibition field. Be prepared for big crowds.

Gramps, if you want to stay in Bakewell it is a great spectacle to see all the riders coming into the finish line in the exhibition field. Be prepared for big crowds.

Thanks Roy, I've booked a couple of nights in nearby Eyam ... am I right to assume that the cycling goes on throughout the weekend, I can't find much info other than a route map on the website? :)

Hi Gramps,

If the format is the same as last year (I think it will be) all 3 bike rides 30/50/100 miles take place on the last day (sun 21st)
The friday is set-up day in the exhibition fields. Loads of tents/stalls many given over to food old bikes/clothing of the day and assorted paraphernalia.
Sat there will be loads going on in the exhibition fields, well worth a visit, keep your fingers crossed for nice weather.
So on the sunday all three rides start from the same point in Bakewell. No massed start, riders turn up over about 3 hours 7am - 10am (approx)
Due to the different ride lengths and different abilities of the riders they will all be finishing in Bakewell over an extended period on sunday.
I think this event largely escaped public recognition last year and I would expect bigger crowds this year.
Nearer the event you will be able to download the actual routes of the 3 rides so if you wanted to get out into the countryside to view the riders and avoid the
population centre crowds this is possible.
My only regret last year was that I could only be in one place at a time !
Anything else I can help you with ?

That's brilliant Roy, thank you so much ... if the ride is on Sunday that will work out perfectly for me :)

Hi Roy,

Great effort on the photos I was there at the event and I'm in the 1st picture middle wearing l'eroica top!! Was wondering if you could email me a copy of it?

Thanks
Colin

Hi Roy,

Great effort on the photos I was there at the event and I'm in the 1st picture middle wearing l'eroica top!! Was wondering if you could email me a copy of it?

Thanks
Colin

Yes, certainly Colin, I will move to PM (start a conversation)

Great that you have 'found' yourself on one of my pictures.

I saw myself on TV coverage standing just there at the start.

Last edited:
Well the support this thread has had deserves more pictures (IMO) so I have gone back to the originals and developed more. Hope you enjoy these ?

As always click for 'the bigger picture'

Getting your leg over.

DSC03671_L%27eroica39-XL.jpg

Best in show

DSC01269_L%27eroica42-XL.jpg

Greybeards

DSC01260_L%27eroica43-XL.jpg

Photoblog

DSC03593_L%27eroica30-XL.jpg

All shapes & sizes

DSC03630_L%27eroica33-XL.jpg

Holdsworth

DSC03577_L%27.eroica27-XL.jpg

Leaving Bakewell

DSC01397_L%27eroica46-XL.jpg

Check back I will post more.

Last edited:
Ok, another tranche.

I'm scraping the barrel now and the focus accuracy is not so good on some of these later ones.

Downhill Racer.

DSC01713_L%27eroica60-XL.jpg

Home delivery.

DSC01617_L%27eroica47-XL.jpg

Overtaken.

DSC01616_L%27eroica58-XL.jpg

Carrying the flag.

DSC01580_L%27eroica56-XL.jpg

Cool spectator.

DSC01543_L%27eroica54-XL.jpg

DSC01608_L%27eroica48-XL.jpg

Blooming ?

DSC01515_L%27eroica52-XL.jpg

A totally excellent thread with a mighty impressive collection of interesting photographs.
Superb work and thanks a bunch for sharing them.
Bravo.
Cheers

I'd kind of ignored this last year, but think must check it out this year, be rude not too as it's almost within my cycling distance away (but I'm a lazy sod, still too many hills betwixt Chesterfield & Bakewell and I'll take the car)

The youth of today with their new fancy bikes.
They've never had it so good.

Figured someone had to say it. :)

Fantastic pictures.

Was there last year, will be there on Sunday. Same custom built bike I had built for me back in 1983.

(Don't know what all this nostalgia thing is about, it is just my go to bike and as sweet as the day it was built, unlike me)

;)

I must say, as a cyclist, you have captured the event so well. Thanks for sharing!

Might go on Sunday. Not on the bike - mine is older than most of those that will be there, and is built of gas pipe!

I'll be there, hope I can get to find & photograph them! :D

As this thread has had a recent revival of interest I will add this.

Luciano Berruti the Italian founder of L’Eroico sadly passed away in sept 2017 at the age of 73.

He is in my photo’s No 12 & 17.

R.I.P Luciano.

Last edited:
Back