MORE PICS ADDED!!! - The Forth Rail Bridge - The Restoration of an Icon - A Personal Project

Edit My Images
Yes
From 2006 to 2012 I had the pleasure of working on the refurbishment project that for the first time since it's construction properly repainted the Forth Bridge. We blasted the steel back to bare metal, carried out steel repairs and then painted it with a 5 coat Glass Flake Epoxy paint system. It was difficult to take my camera on the bridge as at the end of the day I was a section site manager for the Main Contractor and I was there to work. But ocassionally during weekend shifts I'd go into work and take some pictures.

There pictures are just a personal glimpse into the goings on that I supervised and a fond memory to myself. But I thought others would like to see them. I wish now thinking back on it I'd properly gone to my project manager and Network Rail and offered my photos as laterally Network Rail got in a photographer for two weeks to basically do the same thing as this... It is definitely a missed opportunity for me to have done something memorable with my photography... that could have been published.

However you can never look back... so I present the Forth Bridge. I will post a few pics every so often! I've a total of 150 images!

FRB_042 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

FRB_016 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

FRB_130 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

FRB_012 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

FRB_055 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

FRB_013 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

FRB_083 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

FRB_115 by Captures. in.time, on Flickr

Interesting photos, a mate of mine did the planning for the refurbishment.

Not seen him for a wee while, he joined another bowling club when he left my town.

What a bridge, thank you.

Ah, that takes me back to this. Somewhere I have more photos, including the Golden Rivet.

No hard hats and hivis back then!

Forth-Bridge02.jpg

What a bridge, thank you.

Ah, that takes me back to this. Somewhere I have more photos, including the Golden Rivet.

No hard hats and hivis back then!

View attachment 127220

Did you work on the bridge? Im guessing that photo was taken around the 1950s?!

I'm not that old!! :banana:

I saw a poster for a guided walk across the bridge and knew I had had to go on it! 1977ish, I'll have to check my negs. We walked across it, most of the way, went up the first tower, and under the track. Mostly was walking along as shown in photo, pressed against the side fence when a train came past.

Much like walking the Severn Tunnel - very, very memorable!

I'm not that old!! :banana:

I saw a poster for a guided walk across the bridge and knew I had had to go on it! 1977ish, I'll have to check my negs. We walked across it, most of the way, went up the first tower, and under the track. Mostly was walking along as shown in photo, pressed against the side fence when a train came past.

Much like walking the Severn Tunnel - very, very memorable!
Sorry!!! Didn't mean to suggest you were old!

Would you believe that is still the position of safety when walking in the Cess walkway. That route you have described was pretty much my walk onto the bridge for 6 years! The top of the Jubilee tower you went up was one of my favorite places on the bridge. Prob one of the rarest places to go and the sheer size of the granite blocks and the quality of stonework was amazing!

Enjoyed these sets and look forward to a few more.

To work on such a iconic bridge must have been........well I suppose you need to fill in the blank, it could have been many things I assume.

Enjoyed these sets and look forward to a few more.

To work on such a iconic bridge must have been........well I suppose you need to fill in the blank, it could have been many things I assume.

A Privilege and a Pleasure! Even in the depths of winter!!!

Back