More planes! My Shoreham Airshow experience 2013

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
So armed with my shiny new 70d and my not so new 100-400mm, I braved the good weather and went to take some pics from a hill nearby.

So far I've only processed the pics from Sunday... sigh :( but I cut down a few thousand to 56!

Here's the set so far and a few of my faves. The sky was quite drab for most of the day so I got a bit creative with the PP!

**edit**

More pics nearer the bottom of the post :)

Set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/phal44/sets/72157635347151653/

1-

140 by Phal44, on Flickr

2-

210 by Phal44, on Flickr

3-

North American F-86A Sabre by Phal44, on Flickr

4-

RAF Falcons Parachute Display Team by Phal44, on Flickr

5-

Douglas AD4N Skyraider by Phal44, on Flickr

6-

Avro Lancaster B1 and Hawker Hurricane IIc by Phal44, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very much like 3,7 and 8, on my monitor the others look a tad dark, that doesn't mean the compositions aren't pleasing though.

Regards Paul

Maybe it's because I'm sat in the dark lol :)

I really need to get my monitor calibrated!

FYI though some are just supposed to be dark as they were kinda boring till I bumped the contrast and clarity to highlight cloud/sky patterns etc.

Just to save people looking, here's another Sabre shot processed in the same way :)

What a cracking set.
Really love the creativity and variety of shots, but not really keen on the positioning of the plane in #1 or the crop of #5, but they're really only a bit of a nit pick.

What a cracking set.
Really love the creativity and variety of shots, but not really keen on the positioning of the plane in #1 or the crop of #5, but they're really only a bit of a nit pick.

Hah yeah I quite often have difficulty choosing how to crop planes in the sky, especially when there isn't anything interesting to keep in shot behind it.

#1 didn't seem to look quite right any way I put it so eventually that was my decision lol

#5 I do have a bit of a thing for cropping things wider than the usual format size and in this case I liked the soft gradient of bright to dark going left to right and it seemed to go well with the underside of the plane that is getting some light.

I guess that's art for you! Nobody is wrong or right hehe

yes ,Sunday's sky was really difficult

The light seemed to be constantly changing but the clouds,sea mist and smoke were nearly always a flat grey background -
My shots from inside the show looking in the opposite direction

David

I'm guessing you were close to the airfield or in it? I was tempted to head down there for one day but after having been to Eastbourne and having planes pass by Beachy Head while I was on it, I decided to park myself on the hill for a different viewpoint :)

It's tough because the sun is in the wrong place for a lot of shots but next year I might try to get on the hill on the other side towards Lancing so the sun is behind.

Yes, I was infield close to the display line which runs not far off North to South (with Sunday's wind) so most of my shots were taken when the planes were circling or more frequently when the sun was hiding.

A large crowd so lots of missed shots when people stood up when something good appeared !

Yeah, that's the other good thing about the hill, there's a lot more room to move and it's also on a slope so it's easy to see over people in front of you hehe :D

Well I finally got to processing the Saturday pics! It turns out there were more I wanted to keep than I thought there would be lol :)

Here's a few choice ones and a link to the full set

Full set - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phal44/sets/72157635347151653/

Spitfires and Hurricanes by Phal44, on Flickr

Douglas AD4N Skyraider by Phal44, on Flickr

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane by Phal44, on Flickr

Curtiss P-40M Kittyhawk by Phal44, on Flickr

Loving the last set, especially the first and second of them and the BoB one. The planes are so well placed and you can see they're in flight.

The 2nd one's probably my favourite.

Back