More Printer Insanity!

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
OK I'll try keep this as brief as possible...

Following on from this thread here
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=236849

I want to see if I can get some help on further issues...

I bought a R2880 because I was at my wits end with my 7600 with the prints always coming out way too dark, see below example - top pic is original image and the image below is the scanned image from my 7600:

4834580891_d93a47e196.jpg

4834579667_a0b25d304c.jpg

This is typical of what is happening, I have tried all sorts of settings and profiles, I have downloaded Bill Atkinsons profiles etc.

The settings used for the above are as follows:

4835189632_0dc640141b_b.jpg

So firstly - any help on this would be great!

Secondly my R2880 as from this evening has decided to go mental on me - right at the time when I desperately need to print some customer orders off :(

For some reason it is now printing with a magenta tint on dark greys/blacks, it was working fine yesterday. I am sure I haven't changed anything. I am using a Lyson continuous ink system and yesterday a cartridge (VM) clocked as empty so I clicked the switch that reset it, that's all I can think of that might have started the problem.

Here is a scan of part of an image and the picture below it is the original file:

4834579119_9a4ee8c26f.jpg

4834579179_5061ca0cf7.jpg

If anyone has any ideas about my two separate problems I would be eternally grateful, in fact if you are able to solve my problems I am certain that I could send some beer money your way - I am losing business because of this :(

Thanks,
Jay

Take the CISS carts out and then refit them, could be an airlock or you disturbed the carts when you clicked the switch.

Looks like you have a colour missing.

Have you printed a nozzle check pattern ?

Click ICM in the dialogue box and see if that makes any difference. You have it set for no colour adjustment so Photoshop is not able to do its job.
It worked for me so I hope it will for you.

Click ICM in the dialogue box and see if that makes any difference. You have it set for no colour adjustment so Photoshop is not able to do its job.
It worked for me so I hope it will for you.

I think that its the printers colour management he has switched off, I always uncheck this box and let PS manage the colour.

Steve

First thing to do is have a look at printer profiles. You are using a colour space not a specific printer/ink/paper profile that will certainly screw things up. Printer colour management off, that's as it should be.Rendering intent is OK at perceptual.

OK now check the printer set up matches what you have in Photoshop. Can't help you with the 7600 as I only have a 2880. But it is possible to set up contradictory parameters which will give problems

Do you have paper profiles for the paper/ink combination. If not this may not be helping. The other point is to "Soft Proof" the image.

In Photoshop go to View and select Proof set up. Choose custom and from the menu select the paper profile you are using to print with. Now chose proof set up from the view menu ( Alternatively use the keyboard short cut CMD/CTRL Y) You will see the image change, showing what the image will look like when it's printed ( Near enough anyway). You can then use the the image controls in Photoshop to bring it back to normal. It's sometimes useful to make a duplicate image, which doesn't have the proof set up applied as a reference..

You might find these links helpful

http://www.gabrielgurley.com/resour...rinting_images_epson_7600_9600_photoshop.html
http://www.bairarteditions.com/pages/tutorials/epsonprinting/pagesetup.html

I find that with Ilford Gallerie paper and Epson inks I need to make a simple small brightness and contrast adjustment to match the Soft proof to the original. This gives very close printer/screen match

Last edited:
No Steve, he has the No Colour Adjustment checked. That just stops any messing with the settings for manual adjustment. ( I seem to remember being told )
This drove me crazy for ages then I checked the ICM box but it was too late I had pulled most of my hair out by then, but it did the job.;)

There are too many variables with paper, ink and soft proofing. All this is fine if you have set ups that require Magazine standard prints but for DIY stuff, if you use manufacturers ink and paper and set the paper choice to that paper then what you see on a calibrated monitor is as near damn it what it should print out.

You have a calibrated monitor i suppose ?

Last edited:
No Steve, he has the No Colour Adjustment checked. That just stops any messing with the settings for manual adjustment. ( I seem to remember being told )
This drove me crazy for ages then I checked the ICM box but it was too late I had pulled most of my hair out by then, but it did the job.;)

Pete I love you! I have spent 12 months on and off messing about with this printer!!! At no point have I thought to select "ICM" in that menu as I assumed like you did that the colour controls should be disabled! I have just gone into my computer room to try this, admittedly holding out very little hope, and for the first time my 7600 spat out a perfect print! I cannot tell you how happy I am.

Tomorrow I will check it's not a fluke and if it does consistently work I shall insist on sending a few beer tokens your way as I have been pulling the hair from my head for about a year!

As I understand it with ICM checked Windows takes over the colour mangement and just attempts to match the printer output to what you see on your monitor. I've always found it works very well.

Shame you didn't look at the pictures carefully in the thread you linked to, you would have seen ICM tickied and colour control set to off :D

everything is fine except for the profile choice which is set to adobe RGB and it should be the profile for the paper.

you also nee to tick the black point compensation box too

the r2880 problem looks like the printer is not squirting out all the ink it should so either blocked head or air bubble in your cis.

Last edited:
Pete I love you! I have spent 12 months on and off messing about with this printer!!! At no point have I thought to select "ICM" in that menu as I assumed like you did that the colour controls should be disabled! I have just gone into my computer room to try this, admittedly holding out very little hope, and for the first time my 7600 spat out a perfect print! I cannot tell you how happy I am.

Tomorrow I will check it's not a fluke and if it does consistently work I shall insist on sending a few beer tokens your way as I have been pulling the hair from my head for about a year!

Jason,

I'm really pleased it worked. There is so much ******** about paper profiles and soft proofing and the like. Always trust your machines as they spent millions perfecting this stuff.
Professionals have to do that sort of stuff but these small machines are meant for small run and home use so they have to be easy to set up, it is up to us to understand it.

By the way I don't drink, but seeing your post is good enough for me. I'm up for a big Dutch woman though if I have a choice...........:LOL:

Last edited:
ICM is a printer colour correction option - you don't choose that if you are using profiles.

the off setting you've posted is the correct option

ICM lets windows assign the profile that suits your printer automaically according to Rep today. To be honest I dont really care that much as what I have stated above has worked fine for the past 2 years so I hope someone else gets something out of it.
I have used ProPhoto AdobeRGB and others and 'EE255 1' does it for me which, funny enough is what Windows defaults to on my Epson.

there is probably somthing off with your workflow for that to happen since you'll be having double profiling. but if it works you can't argue.

ICM lets windows assign the profile that suits your printer automaically according to Rep today. To be honest I dont really care that much as what I have stated above has worked fine for the past 2 years so I hope someone else gets something out of it.
I have used ProPhoto AdobeRGB and others and 'EE255 1' does it for me which, funny enough is what Windows defaults to on my Epson.

There is probably lots of things wrong with my workflow. ;)

This has been a problem that was sorted by being ignorant, but sometimes it works and others not. I know nothing about the profileing and printing other than small batch for testing, but hey, it worked, thing is I don't know why.

ICM is a printer colour correction option - you don't choose that if you are using profiles.

the off setting you've posted is the correct option

It clearly isn't the correct option in my case, and as it seems other peoples' on here.

To be honest, does anyone know the definitive answer??

It clearly isn't the correct option in my case, and as it seems other peoples' on here.

To be honest, does anyone know the definitive answer??

if it works then you've solved a problem which is great.

did you get your R2880 problem sorted?

I had a similar problem whereby turning off ICM and then using a profile managed by LR/CS was churning out dark prints - to the point where I was having to increase brightness quite a bit.

By leaving it managed by LR/CS and turning ICM back on it works much better - and I couldn't get my head around it either - calibrated monitor..etc.

This was using Ilford paper/profile on a Canon MP540.

....FYI I send the same images to DSCL and they come back fine, so it's not a big deal - though I got through a sickening amount of paper before I stumbled on something that actually worked.

Hi POAH,

I considered that but Spyder 3 actually complained that it was too low during calibration and needed to be increased, so I kind of ruled that out.

After trying every combination that made sense I gave up and went for what appeared to work, though I'd prefer if I actually understood profiling better.

One day, probably after a bottle of wine, I'll have an epiphany and it will all make sense ;-)

Last edited:
:thumbsdown:

It works :shrug:, anything you might be able to add to explain it then go right ahead, you seem to have an opinion and thats what forums are for.;)

Or is it that it didn't work for you.

Last edited:
if it works then you've solved a problem which is great.

did you get your R2880 problem sorted?

Well it may have improved my print quality but I am not convinced it has solved my problem from the perspective that I won't be getting the best out of my printer profiles. Having had a look around a few forums it seems that other people are having a similar problem too i.e. prints far too dark, but I have yet to find an answer.

As for the R2880, I had an air lock in one of the cartridges feed lines that caused the problem :)

Back