More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

Cheers for that Chris.
Looks like a trial of affinity is in order.
No worries Tim.
Without crashing your thread any further have a look HERE

Good idea for the time theme, nothing beats a good b&w steam picture.
Focus stacking in Affinity is very straight forward, I've never used any other software for it.

Love your Past Times train shot, I really must get back there when this all passes.
Can't help with the focus stacking, but with this much time on my hands I may end up trying it!

Nice images Tim
Cheers David.
Past Times is rather lovely - different times as well. I like the movement and energy in the smoke and the vapour.
The idea was to get shots with the exhaust hitting the bridge baffles in order to get something like this (I have before and after shots from the burst :) )
Good idea for the time theme, nothing beats a good b&w steam picture.
Focus stacking in Affinity is very straight forward, I've never used any other software for it.
I've tried it now and it works in a similar way to PS, but did a better job straight out of the box, and the editing is far more intuitive.
Love your Past Times train shot, I really must get back there when this all passes.
Can't help with the focus stacking, but with this much time on my hands I may end up trying it!
Yes Clive, The Mid Hants (along with all heritage railways) will need as many of us as possible to help put a few quid back in their coffers.
Loosing the summer months has to be painful for anything leisure based.
If you do try focus stacking, I will second the recommendation for Affinity, it did a better job than PS with the same set of files.
Follow Cobra's links for 90 day trials and 50% off if you decide to buy.

Reactions: LC2
Backgrounds are a problem sometimes with stacking I do find it a bit hit and miss it’s possibly the angle you are shooting at that might be an issue, although it seems sometimes it might just be the way that photoshop reads the files,
Affinity seems to have done a better job though so that’s quite interesting.

Anyhow the first train shot is a good classic train shot, works for me.

Feel free to crash the thread with suggestions like that :)
Apologies for another gatecrash but did you notice Affinity photo is currently half price, it's a lot of software for £24

Backgrounds are a problem sometimes with stacking I do find it a bit hit and miss it’s possibly the angle you are shooting at that might be an issue, although it seems sometimes it might just be the way that photoshop reads the files,
Affinity seems to have done a better job though so that’s quite interesting.

Anyhow the first train shot is a good classic train shot, works for me.
I've had a very quick play with Affinity for normal editing and don't like it as much as PS/LR, but that's just familiarity.
I will find some tutorials and give it a decent look.
However, even if I just use it for focus stacking, a pony isn't unreasonable so worth buying the license.
I'm slowly working through the photos from the Charter, so a few more train shots may well show up during the lockdown.
Past times is a great photo. The steam looks amazing.
A case of knowing it would do that and firing a burst at the right time in order to catch it :)

Apologies for another gatecrash but did you notice Affinity photo is currently half price, it's a lot of software for £24
I did indeed, it's a lot of software for a pony. Not sure I will use it for much more than stacking - but I will do some tutorials and see if I can get on with it.
I would need a decent DAM if I were to move off of LR/PS. Luminar doesn't really work for me (does it really have nothing for adding titles (metadata) etc to the images?)

Lovely shot Tim. Can't fault it in any way. Bang on theme and I love a steam shot anyway.

Nice mono conversion on the past times shot... good contrast and great amount of steam.
Never done any focus stacking myself but perhaps its time to give it a go too. Might have a look at Affinity myself.

Nice photo of a steam train, works well in B&W!

I used to use Helicon Remote for focus stacking, but after a recent upgrade of either the software of the firmware of my camera it refuses to communicate with my camera...

I like your re edit it's got an old times feel to it.
It was actually a first edit of an archive shot (3 weeks ago) that hadn't been edited yet (this was the set where I dropped and broke the 5D3, so was using the back-up 80D, and I lost the enthusiasm to edit them funnily enough).
But old/past times was the feel I was trying for (without resorting to sepia) :)
Lovely shot Tim. Can't fault it in any way. Bang on theme and I love a steam shot anyway.
I can though. I was playing with the channels and didn't notice I'd changed the loco number (on the buffer beam) to a strange tone.
Nice mono conversion on the past times shot... good contrast and great amount of steam.
Never done any focus stacking myself but perhaps its time to give it a go too. Might have a look at Affinity myself.
You can get a 90 day trial at the moment (default is 10 days), and it's only a 500mb download.
Plus it'll only see you for a pony if you decide to buy (at the moment).
Nice photo of a steam train, works well in B&W!

I used to use Helicon Remote for focus stacking, but after a recent upgrade of either the software of the firmware of my camera it refuses to communicate with my camera...
B&W hides the orange jacket under the stairs as well as feeling more appropriate for a past times style shot.
I've not looked at Helicon Remote. I'll have to go look at their website.

Week 15 - Free Week + Technique

Defused sunlight as the (high) key light, shot into a mirror just to make it more interesting, then straightened and brightness adjusted. Shot at F2, there is actually one dragonfly in focus :)

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 15 - Free Week
by Tim White, on Flickr

As @Cobra was toying with "Zombies" as this weeks theme ;)
Zombies Rage 2 or Racing would be a good theme, as I`m doing well on the Xbox one :banana::banana:
No problem Dave I'm sure it'd slot right in ;)
A bit of fun with Zombies escaping from the tear down of Sampson House in Hopton Street on their way to take over Southwark.

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 15 - Free Week - Zombies overrun Hopton Street
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Defused sunlight as the (high) key light, shot into a mirror just to make it more interesting,
Nice idea Tim works well IMO

A bit of fun with Zombies escaping from the tear down of Sampson House in Hopton Street on their way to take over Southwark.
Love it (y)

Interesting shot not sure what to make of that one, will get back to you

I like the frame in a frame - nicely thought through. I must admit that the two cut off lighters bother me a bit - is there room to take a step right (albeit introducing some distortion...) to fill the right hand side of the mirror as well?

Snappers choice, technique
It works well for technique and it's something a little different.

I'm not sure what to make of your high key image. I think it's too busy. And I don't like the frame stuck right to the edges of the image too much either... Have you got a version of that photo with just one dragonfly and the frame not right on the edges?

I like the zombies though :)

Nice idea Tim works well IMO
(Zombie)
Love it (y)
Well, it was worth a try. I think the 2 zombies on the left and the one at the back work well. Not so sure on the one on the right.
Interesting shot not sure what to make of that one, will get back to you
:)
Interesting idea for the technique.
Zombies look great!
It was worth a try fopr teh technique. I'm not 100%, but...
Zombies were just a really quick bit of fun, given I have quite a few zombie shots amongst the many thousand cosplay photos.
Hi Tim that's a nice idea and I like the composition with the mirrored images.(y)
I'm thinking greater DoF might have been better, dunno...
I like the frame in a frame - nicely thought through. I must admit that the two cut off lighters bother me a bit - is there room to take a step right (albeit introducing some distortion...) to fill the right hand side of the mirror as well?
There was plenty of distortion for me to edit as it was ;) Moving any further to my right would have involved knocking a hole in the front of our front room. not sure @minx would have been too happy at that!
Snappers choice, technique
It works well for technique and it's something a little different.
I wanted to try something a little different.
Love it. Idea, technique and composition all spot on.
I'm not sure it is, but thanks anyway :)
That's different Tim and I like it. Well seen.
Cheers.
I'm not sure what to make of your high key image. I think it's too busy. And I don't like the frame stuck right to the edges of the image too much either... Have you got a version of that photo with just one dragonfly and the frame not right on the edges?

I like the zombies though :)
I could do a version where the frame isn't on the edges, but the dragonflies are simply where they are currently hanging, so it's all or nothing :)
I like the zombies too !
I like your take on High Key a clever idea nicely composed.
Well Mark, it was an idea. Not so sure it was a clever one though :)

Me and my big mouth :(

Sorry guys my bad ...
And so you should be.....

Great self portraight Tim a bit light hearted which is what we need at the moment, although I'm not sure I'll very be abel to erase the image form my mind:p:p:LOL:
Yes we ALL blame you :D

Cool fun shots Tank Girl Tim (y)
I think these are some of my favourite Tank Girl shots (of me).
It was worth the effort of the *subtle* makeup and shaving my legs :)

Have to say this has definitely brightened my day...
... in a very weird sort of way :wacky:

Back