More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

Great shot for discarded Tim, the processing suits this perfectly.

That train image is spot on for theme and I really like the treatment you have given it, cold steely colour to match the discarded metal, well done on capture and treatment.

I'm glad there are still people/enthusiasts around who are willing to give up their time to restore and run these great trains of our heritage. I was going to say, our industrial heritage, but like you said a lot of these engines aren't or weren't very old when they were put out of service.
The N15 about 35 years, the 8F maybe 15 years in BR service. It's a great thing to get involved in (even if I don't get to do it as much as I would like).
Great shot for discarded Tim, the processing suits this perfectly.
Lovely image, Tim. Perfect for the theme as they definitely were discarded by industry like so many other working items and places, and your processing does give it a feel of that period. Nicely done (y)
That train image is spot on for theme and I really like the treatment you have given it, cold steely colour to match the discarded metal, well done on capture and treatment.
Cheers Rick, Andrea and Paul. I had this sort of processing in mind when I took the shot. I do love this type of industrial shot where it looks like it could have been taken 'back in the day'.

Week 5 - Free Week

Trying out a new softbox and backdrop.
Shot using clamshell lighting (silver reflector) with a second speedlight on the backdrop.

We were doing some headshot practice in prep for helping Sam's college performaning arts class out with headshots for their portfolios and programme.
I probably won't use the brick backdrop. It will probably be a mottled grey - but we were playing.
Oh and I know that the brickwork isn't vertical, that was deliberate to get the angle on the face I wanted.

TP52 for 2020 - Week 5 : Free Week
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shot Tim, lovely natural look. :)

Well apart from WOW what else can I say. The 50mm is one hell of a great lens and this shot proves just that with being shot at f5.6 is sharp as hell just look at Sam`s eye lashes, the shot imo is a cracker as also no reflections or glare off the glasses so a cracking image and very well taken Tim :clap::clap:

Well apart from WOW what else can I say. The 50mm is one hell of a great lens and this shot proves just that with being shot at f5.6 is sharp as hell just look at Sam`s eye lashes, the shot imo is a cracker as also no reflections or glare off the glasses so a cracking image and very well taken Tim :clap::clap:
I did do some with a larger aperture, but f/5.6 was so I could control the light and remove all the ambient.
I probably should have tired some at f/8 but hey.

That's a great portrait shot, you've nailed that lighting. Really nicely done.

That looks like an extremely well light portrait to me, the new softbox is working well. Nice and natural, as has already been said.

Great portrait, nice even appearance, I’ve never tried portraits but hear of issues photographing people wearing glasses. This image looks like it had been perfectly handled in that respect. It is something I’m going to try, maybe it will feature in the TP52 some day.

That looks like an extremely well light portrait to me, the new softbox is working well. Nice and natural, as has already been said.
Cheers Mark. It was nice to use a new modifier :)
Great portrait, nice even appearance, I’ve never tried portraits but hear of issues photographing people wearing glasses. This image looks like it had been perfectly handled in that respect. It is something I’m going to try, maybe it will feature in the TP52 some day.
The usual problem with glasses is seen when the camera and light are on both on the same axis and the glasses are pointing directly at both. You can get around that by tilting the glasses or moving the head.
I was using clamshell with the top light quite a bit higher than I was, and the reflector lower. I did get a couple of shots with some reflection, but that was when I moved to lighting from the side (not quite Rembrandt, but more suited to male than female portriats).

The lighting looks totally natural. The backdrop really suits the shot too. Good portrait.

Nice portrait and I really like the backdrop Tim.
Lovely portrait Tim the BG works really well, nicely lit too.
The lighting looks totally natural. The backdrop really suits the shot too. Good portrait.
Cheers all. I don't expect to use that backdrop for the performing arts headshots - I suspect they will want a plain grey one, but it was nice to use it and I think it will get plenty of use at Cosplay events.
I do like working with lights. f5.6, 1/250th and ISO100 gave a totally black shot (as required) prior to lighting :)

Lovely portrait Tim

Actor headshots are supposed to be 'natural' or 'blank canvas' apparently, so the casting director can imagine the part.
Pah! Whadda they know? I like the back-drop, something from the not quite so conformist book of portraits :)

Lovely portrait Tim

Pah! Whadda they know? I like the back-drop, something from the not quite so conformist book of portraits :)
I know !!!
We did do a few using a blue backdrop and some using a grey wall, but the brickwork is far more fun.
Still, It'll probably get a fair bit of use over the year at conventions (did i mention that my first convention of the year is this weekend? ;0 )

I agree with all the above. It's a lovely well lit portait and I like the background.

Lovely portrait, I like the model and the background

Once again find myself 2 weeks late on commenting, but better to be late than never comment :) that’s what I’m telling myself anyway. :)
So your snappers choice, Having heard why you choice to do that photo and what the intentions are for the photo... Performing arts is all about personal creativity and flair with self expression.. so I really like the wall, the colours pop and I think are totally suitable for a performing arts purpose. Photos are supposed to evoke a thought or an emotion when viewed and with yours I started singing a certain song from Pink Floyd :). The picture is so crisp and every inch is in focus, I can imagine her stood in front of graffiti and it really working... she is very photogenic.
Your wild theme was unusual and you captured all the fine detail perfectly. Composition and the backdrop works perfectly.
Huge thumbs up for the last 2 weeks.

Once again find myself 2 weeks late on commenting, but better to be late than never comment :) that’s what I’m telling myself anyway. :)
So your snappers choice, Having heard why you choice to do that photo and what the intentions are for the photo... Performing arts is all about personal creativity and flair with self expression.. so I really like the wall, the colours pop and I think are totally suitable for a performing arts purpose. Photos are supposed to evoke a thought or an emotion when viewed and with yours I started singing a certain song from Pink Floyd :). The picture is so crisp and every inch is in focus, I can imagine her stood in front of graffiti and it really working... she is very photogenic.
Your wild theme was unusual and you captured all the fine detail perfectly. Composition and the backdrop works perfectly.
Huge thumbs up for the last 2 weeks.
Thanks Heather :) I understand one of Sam's shots will be in the programme (she's lighting and stage crew for their end of term production). I'm glad I did the practice run as it was interesting getting 12 different shoots through in 3 hours (yesterday), with widely varying skin tones and things to deal with (like glasses and not being confident with posing). interestingly I didn't colour pop the background. It really is that bright !

Megan's cosplay is fantastic isn't it. You're likely to find (over the year) that this type of shot isn't unusual for me ;)

Very nice WILD shot. Would love to see full length or.ampngst trees to show off the full effect of the costume

I really like your Coz play images Tim, and this one ( two) is no exception (y)

Nice shots for Wild Tim, the background works well with the outfit which looks really cool

Nice wild pix - great costume.

Wild
Good looking portraits, I like the eye contact and the costume of course. It certainly does in with the theme.

Wild portrait is a cracker, good atmospheric background great colours on the girls costume and the lighting works very well indeed.

Wild Both great images Tim great backdrop (shame about the creases ;)) I like the pose in No 2

Are you going to the NEC next month?

Back