More Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam from LC2 for 2020 : Week 52 - Decorate(d)

I like the view down the fence and shadows which works well but, for me, the blur is just a bit too disturbing and distracting and would crop square with the post in the middle.

Book... thanks for making me laugh!
Fence... great effect and good B&W processing. Like it

Last edited:
I like the view down the fence and shadows which works well but, for me, the blur is just a bit too disturbing and distracting and would crop square with the post in the middle.
The lens is marmite, I specifically wanted that effect. If I wanted it in focus, I would have used a normal lens :)
But I appreciate that quite a few don't like it.
Book... thanks for making me laugh!
Fence... great effect and good B&W processing. Like it
We need to laugh in the current climate, dark humour FTW.
I was quite happy with the fence.

Thinking of starting an appeal to get you a lens that’s not broken ;)
but saying that I think it does work for this,
The current situation and the lack of Comic-Con will get you thinking :exit:

Thinking of starting an appeal to get you a lens that’s not broken ;)
but saying that I think it does work for this,
The current situation and the lack of Comic-Con will get you thinking :exit:
Just for that, I'll see if I can do the rest of the year with the lensbaby ;) (oh, okay, maybe not...)
Yes, a lack of comic cons will restrict my shoehorns, but then I could also get my Harley, Tank Girl or Liv Moore cosplays out and selfie them.

Just for that, I'll see if I can do the rest of the year with the lensbaby ;) (oh, okay, maybe not...)
Yes, a lack of comic cons will restrict my shoehorns, but then I could also get my Harley, Tank Girl or Liv Moore cosplays out and selfie them.
I hope I mis understood this.....you dressed up? As Harley or Tank Girl....

Reactions: LC2
I'm not sure if I like the lensbaby look, it looks like there's water on the lens. I do like the b&w and the shadow.

Transport - Lovely image Tim love the how the rails act as a lead in to the loco. Nice DoF with just the right amount of details in the carriages

Book - Brilliant take on the theme love the angle you've taken it at very topical at the moment. I like the inclusion of the person looking at the empty shelves.

Fence - I like it works well for the theme.

book - fitting social commentary! In my part of London they had sprouts left at Sainsbury's, all other fruit and veg was gone...

fence - meh

selfie - I like that the dude behind you tries very hard not to notice anything odd

I'm not sure if I like the lensbaby look, it looks like there's water on the lens. I do like the b&w and the shadow.
Cheers Dominic. I knew that the lens would not be to everyone's taste, but I quite like it. Ignoring the blur, it's not actually a bad shot is it.
Transport - Lovely image Tim love the how the rails act as a lead in to the loco. Nice DoF with just the right amount of details in the carriages

Book - Brilliant take on the theme love the angle you've taken it at very topical at the moment. I like the inclusion of the person looking at the empty shelves.

Fence - I like it works well for the theme.
Cheers Mark.
I wanted at least one shot from below the loco like that, to turn the track into leading lines.
I think Book works as it is topical at the moment. I did have another shot with someone more prominent in the image, but didn't think it worked as well.
Fence - I'll put you in the 'don't like marmite' camp then ;)
book - fitting social commentary! In my part of London they had sprouts left at Sainsbury's, all other fruit and veg was gone...

fence - meh

selfie - I like that the dude behind you tries very hard not to notice anything odd
Heya brrnd. I think the shops are a bit better now. Reasonably well stocked when I went at 6am on Tuesday. Not been out of the house since, waiting on next Tuesday to do the allowed weekly shop. I guess you're on the 'don't like marmite' team for fence then ;)
I was surprised @CliveH hadn't already seen that Harley shot. I'm pretty sure it was posted in last year's discussion thread. Yeah, that chap was studiously ignoring the 4 of us in cosplay prancing around the carriage. (I think he was off to the Rubgy at Twickenham).

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 13 - Flora

A couple of entries for this.

Firstly the shot I took this week indoors.
I don't have a Poison Ivy lego figure, so this is one of her parthers in crime (literally), Harley Quinn standing in front of a floral background.
Background backlit by the sun, lighting balanced with an LED set to 5600K from camera right.

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 13 - Flora
by Tim White, on Flickr

Secondly, as we've added re-edited archive shots to the guidelines for the duration of the lockdown.
Jamie (@poison_kiss_cosplay) cosplaying Poison Ivy (with Ed (@beast_awakens) as Fix-It Felix), posed with Japanese blossom trees at UKCGF Dorset the weekend before the whole country started to shut down.

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 13 - Flora - Fix-It Felix & Poison Ivy
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
A nice pair Tim, ( oops :D )

But I prefer the twisted idea in #2 (y)

Two good ideas and different takes on the theme, it's the second one for me..

No idea what you're on about these Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and Fix-it-Felix
You need to get out more Stan ... Oh no... wait a minute ;)
Check out a few Batman and or DC films (y)

I like the second one poison ivy fits the theme more, bit scared of that nose on Fix it Felix though :wideyed:

I find the BG on the first a bit busy? not sure if thats the right word :thinking: and its lego so :puke: interesting idea on balancing the light though

Both off the wall ideas which makes the theme more interesting - #2 for me too.

No idea what you're on about these Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and Fix-it-Felix but like both images. Like your idea to use an LED panel to balance the light rather than a reflector
The panel is far easier to use/control in a small space :)
You need to get out more Stan ... Oh no... wait a minute ;)
Check out a few Batman and or DC films (y)
(y)
I like the second one poison ivy fits the theme more, bit scared of that nose on Fix it Felix though :wideyed:

I find the BG on the first a bit busy? not sure if thats the right word :thinking: and its lego so :puke: interesting idea on balancing the light though
Ivy was my choice too, but I wanted to get the camera out and playing with the LED to change the light was something to do...
Both off the wall ideas which makes the theme more interesting - #2 for me too.
I do try to be different :)

The pose looks a bit wrong to me with the Fix-it man aiming his hammer straight at the ivy lady's norks... but the Japanese blossom in the fore and background is really nice :)

Love both of those Tim I think the BG in No 1 works really well without distracting from the lego figure. I like the framing on No 2 suits the theme very well.

I think you picked the best image to show Tim, The black background works well.

Pete

I like the second one a lot Tim - mainly for the Japanese blossom!
(y)
The pose looks a bit wrong to me with the Fix-it man aiming his hammer straight at the ivy lady's norks... but the Japanese blossom in the fore and background is really nice :)
I know what you mean. I didn't get any shots with Jamie in the blossom without her other half though.
Love both of those Tim I think the BG in No 1 works really well without distracting from the lego figure. I like the framing on No 2 suits the theme very well.
#1 was 'get the camera out' and do something. #2 was my choice really.
I think you picked the best image to show Tim, The black background works well.

Pete
It's not actually a black background, it's the way I lit the shot (and then enhanced the section I wanted) in order that the inverse square law gave me a black background.

Flora
It's #2 for me, adding a different element with the people in the shot (not a straight forward flower/plant shot).

I don't know the characters but shot 2 is interesting. Great looking characters.
Felix is from the Animation, Wreck-It Ralph, Poison Ivy is from Batman.
Flora
It's #2 for me, adding a different element with the people in the shot (not a straight forward flower/plant shot).
Yes, it's nice not to have to post flora for flora.
Like the Poison Ivy shot very much - good use of cosplay archive!
Cheers :)

Week 14 - Time

Past Times
Edit from a charter at the Mid Hants Railway on the 15th March.

Southern Railways S15 - 506
by Tim White, on Flickr

I also spent some Time trying out Focus Stacking.
Can someone help with what's going wrong?
I can get plenty of shots with suitable progression of the focus between each shot, using the focus bracketing feature in the X-T3.
Once in Photoshop I use the align and blend tools (under edit) to stack the shots.
The subject is fine, but there is an odd halo of blur behind the subject, it's not masking well enough.
Should I be using different software? Is it the background causing it?
I can make the source images available if someone wants to have a go to see if they can get a better result.

TP 52 for 2020 : Week 14 - Time
by Tim White, on Flickr

Should I be using different software? Is it the background causing it?
Funny you say that Tim, I tried that with PS years ago, and it always seemed to go tits up too. so I gave up.
I just bought Affinity its only £25 at the moment ( half price) and a damned good clone of CS5 as well.
I tried a 2 stack before I bought it ( you can get it as a free trial) and I was impressed.
I also found a tutorial that shows you how to edit an image within a stack if its not quite going to plan.

Affinity
Tutorial

Last edited:
Funny you say that Tim, I tried that with PS years ago, and it always seemed to go tits up too. so I gave up.
I just bought Affinity its only £25 at the moment ( half price) and a damned good clone of CS5 as well.
I tried a 2 stack before I bought it ( you can get it as a free trial) and I was impressed.
I also found a tutorial that shows you how to edit an image within a stack if its not quite going to plan.

Affinity
Tutorial
Cheers for that Chris.
Looks like a trial of affinity is in order.

Back